MICA Scholarships --Making A Difference
The Military Intelligence Corps Association (MICA) Scholarship Program, established in 1996 to promote opportunities for higher education and to help defray education costs, provides scholarships for the enlisted soldiers of the MI Corps, either on active duty or in the Reserve Component. This year, MICA awarded two $500 scholarships.
Applicants must meet the following criteria. First, they must be graduates of accredited high schools or possess general equivalency diploma (GED) certificates. They must have been accepted by institutions of higher learning (undergraduate college, university, or state-approved vocational program). Finally, the applicants must agree to maintain a three-credit hour schedule during an off-duty session.
Applicants need not be MICA members. All previous recipients may compete for subsequent awards.
Applications must include all of the following items:
- MICA scholarship application.
- Three letters of recommendation, two of which must be from the applicant's battalion commander and command sergeant major.
- One-page, single-spaced, type written or computer-generated essay detailing the applicant's educational goals.
- Memorandum from the applicant's unit education counselor attesting to the applicant's educational aptitude.
- Copies of all previous college, university, or vocational transcripts, or a copy of a high school diploma or GED certificate.
MI soldiers who are interested in applying for a scholarship should request a "Scholarship Program Policies and Procedures Booklet," which provides instructions, an application form, and samples. You can request the booklet from and send applications to the MICA Scholarship Committee, P.O. Box 13020, Fort Huachuca, AZ 85670-3020. Applications cannot be accepted by E-mail or facsimile.
For more information, contact the new Scholarship Committee Chairperson, Lieutenant Colonel Mark Volk, via E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or telephonically at (703) 493-1052 evenings (eastern time zone). Applications must be received no later than 31 May each year--plan now for 1999.