Original Headquarters Building Cornerstone Ceremony
In preparing for this ceremony, a careful selection
of documents and other materials for sealing within the cornerstone of
the new Central Intelligence Agency Building has been made. At some future
date, when opened, the box will provide items of historic interest concerning
the Central Intelligence Agency, and appropriate items in connection with
today's ceremony at which the President of the United States honors us
by laying the cornerstone.
President Dwight D. Eisenhower
lays the Cornerstone
Contents of the cornerstone box include:
- Memorandum for President Franklin D. Roosevelt
from Major General William J. Donovan, Director of the Office of Strategic
Services, dated 18 November 1944, regarding the establishment of a permanent
centralized intelligence service; and Memorandum from President Roosevelt
to General Donovan, dated 5 April 1945, directing that General Donovan
discuss his plan with the appropriate officials of the Government.
- President Harry S. Truman's Executive Letter
of 22 January 1946, establishing the National Intelligence Authority
and the Central Intelligence Group.
- Statement of General (then Lieutenant General)
Hoyt S. Vandenberg, Director of Central Intelligence, before the Senate
Committee on Armed Services, on 29 April 1947, in support of the sections
of the proposed National Security Act of 1947 to establish the Central
- Text and Explanation of Statutes and Executive
Orders relating specifically to the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA),
including Enabling and Appropriations Acts for the construction of the
new CIA Building.
- Reproduction of the CIA seal and its official
- "William J. Donovan and the National Security,"
a speech by Allen W. Dulles, Director of Central Intelligence, to the
Erie County Bar Association, Buffalo, New York, 4 May 1959.
- An aerial photograph of the area of the CIA
- Drawings of the CIA Building as it will appear
- The Program, a recording, and photographs of
the Cornerstone Ceremony.
- Microfilm copies of daily and weekly newspapers
of 3 November 1959.
Above: Text detailing the contents of the box enclosed
in the CIA Original Headquarters Building cornerstone. Excerpted from the
Cornerstone Ceremony program, 3 November 1959.