1. Purpose. To issue periodic review procedures for NTPs, FOTPs, FTPs, CIBs, and SOPs.
2. Cancellation. NAVTELCOMINST 5219.1.
3. Scope. Per reference (a), guidance of this instruction specifies the minimum requirements for periodic review of Naval Telecommunications Procedures, FOTP Instructions, FTP, CIBs, and SOPs.
a. NTPs. The following delineates responsibilities concerning the review of NTP:
(1) COMNAVCOMTELCOM. COMNAVCOMTELCOM has the overall responsibility for review of NTPs. This responsibility involves tasking the NTP originating authority for each publication to conduct periodic reviews in accordance with the schedule contained in enclosure (1) to this instruction. NAVCOMTELCOM is responsible for funding, incorporating and distributing NTPs on CD-ROM.
(2) NTP Originating Authority. The NTP originating authority is the NAVCOMTELCOM headquarters directorate responsible for originating a specific NTP. The originating authority will conduct periodic reviews of each publication in accordance with the schedule contained in enclosure (1). Responsibilities of the NTP originating authority include:
(a) Acting as the NAVCOMTELCOM sponsor for the overall technical and procedural content of the assigned NTP.
(b) Solicitation of publication assessments or change recommendations from fleet commanders and NAVCOMTELCOM claimancy 6 months in advance of the scheduled review date.
(c) Attending or being represented at conferences convened to discuss or review a NTP publication for which directorate is responsible.
(d) Ensuring sufficient funds are programmed and available to support development and updating of NTPs in support of fleet requirements.
(e) Submission of necessary changes or revisions to those NTPs for which respective directorate is responsible.
(f) Prepare unclassified NTP revisions for incorporation into the semi-annual issue of CD-ROM. Issue message corrections via ALCOM and retain with CD-ROM until next CD-ROM update.
(g) Issue classified NTP revisions in paper form as required. Make any corrections directly to the document.
b. FOTP. The FOTP will be reviewed annually. NAVCOMTELCOM has the responsibility for the annual review of the FOTP.
(1) Six months prior to the scheduled review date, NAVCOMTELCOM will solicit feedback concerning the FOTP from Fleet Commanders and the NAVCOMTELCOM claimancy.
(2) After reviewing all inputs NAVCOMTELCOM will generate and distribute changes or revisions to all holders.
c. FTPs. The following delineates responsibilities concerning the periodic review of FTP instructions.
(1) NCTAMS. Each NCTAMS shall maintain an FTP instruction in accordance with the following:
(a) NCTAMS LANT and NCTAMS MED shall jointly maintain an FTP instruction governing the Atlantic and Mediterranean communications areas.
(b) NCTAMS EASTPAC and NCTAMS WESTPAC shall jointly maintain an FTP instruction governing the Pacific and Indian Ocean communications areas.
(c) Each NCTAMS shall conduct an annual review of its FTP instruction. This review shall include soliciting inputs and change recommendations from fleet commanders and subordinate commands and subscribers (as appropriate).
(2) Changes or revisions that result from the annual review will be issued via messages addressed to Address Indicator Groups (AIGs) assigned to area NCTAMS.
d. CIBs. Each NCTAMS shall review, semi-annually, the contents of existing CIBs to ensure current validity and usefulness. CIB holders should be encouraged to submit feedback to the serving NCTAMS using the Communication Publications Feedback Report (CPFR) form detailed in enclosure (2). Although not required, recommend you solicit fleet commanders and subordinate communications facilities feedback and input prior to the CIB review process. New CIBs and changes to CIBs will be issued via message addressed to AIGs assigned to area NCTAMS.
e. SOPs. Communications activities within the NAVCOMTELCOM claimancy will produce Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) to cover all routine and emergency procedures. Local SOPs are to be reviewed by all communications facilities at least annually according to the following guidelines:
(1) SOPs will be maintained locally to ensure safe, efficient, and effective operation of equipment/systems.
(2) The respective SOPs will be reviewed and updated as necessary whenever an equipment configuration change is made, procedural change occurs, or manning changes necessitate a reorganization of operator functions or responsibilities.
f. CPFR. Use the CPFR format from enclosure (2) to recommend changes to an NTP, FOTP, FTP, or CIB. Use CPFRs for input to scheduled publication reviews. We will include the CPFR in the next change or revision to the CD-ROM and to each NTP, FTP, or FOTP to encourage publication user feedback.
a. FTPs - NCTAMS shall provide NAVCOMTELCOM with recommendations of pertinent FTP common worldwide procedures for transfer and inclusion into the FOTP or NTP-4.
b. CIBs - NCTAMS shall provide NAVCOMTELCOM with recommendations of pertinent CIB common worldwide procedures for transfer and inclusion into the FOTP or NTP-4.
6. Periodic Publication Review Matrix. Enclosure (1), the Periodic Review Matrix, contains:
a. The schedule of periodic reviews for NTPs, FTPs, CIBs, FOTPs, and SOPs.
b. The originating authority assigned for each publication.
c. A brief summary of each publication.
Distribution: SNDL C46 (COMNAVCOMTELCOM Shore Based Detachments) FG2 Naval Computer and Telecommunications Stations and NAVCOMMSTA Stockton FG4 Naval Computer and Telecommunications Activity, San Diego FG5 Radio Station (Jim Creek only) FG6 Naval Computer and Telecommunications Area Master Stations FG9 Chief, Navy-Marine Corps MARS FG13 Navy Resale Activities FL4 NARDAC (San Francisco only) FE4 Security Group Activity (Adak only) FE6 DCMS C46A Naval Telecommunication Centers C46B NAVCOMM Detachments C46C Navy Radio Transmitting Facility C46D Navy Radio Receiver Facility C46E Navy Link Station C46E1 NAVCOMTELSTACOMMU Det C46F NCTAMS LANT Detachments C46G CNCTC Resale Activity Detachments HQ Reserve Unit NAVEMSCEN
Copy to: SNDL, Parts 1 and 2 (less "Distribution" addressees)
PERIODIC PUBLICATION REVIEW MATRIX
ORIGINATING REVIEW REVIEW DATE PUBLICATION AUTHORITY PERIODICITY 93 94 95 96 97 PUBLICATION SUMMARY
NTP 2 CNCTC BI-ANNUALLY XX XX VARIOUS CLASSIFICATIONS. U.S. Navy satellite communications procedures and systems descriptions.
3 CNCTC SEMI-ANNUALLY MAR MAR MAR MAR UNCLAS. Naval message SEP SEP SEP SEP SEP preparation and originator responsibilities.
4 CNCTC BI-ANNUALLY XX XX XX UNCLAS. Central reference for communications procedures afloat and ashore.
5 CNCTC BI-ANNUALLY XX XX CONFIDENTIAL. Information and guidance concerning operating instructions, procedures, equipment, capabilities, and system configurations used in U.S. Navy voice communications.
6 NAVEMSCEN ANNUALLY XX XX XX XX XX UNCLAS. Procedural manual for the effective execution of spectrum management within the department of the Navy.
6 Supp-1 NAVEMSCEN ANNUALLY XX XX XX XX XX UNCLAS. Recommended frequency bands and frequency guide. Propagation prediction for HF frequency planning.
8 CNCTC-MARS BI-ANNUALLY XX XX UNCLAS. Communications instructions and procedures for U.S. Navy-Marine Corps Military Affiliate Radio System-MARS.
9 CNCTC BI-ANNUALLY XX XX XX UNCLAS. Procedures for processing authorized messages through commercial communications systems.
10 CNCTC BI-ANNUALLY XX XX XX UNCLAS. Communications instructions for ships controlled by the Military Sealift Command and the U.S. Flag Merchant Fleet.
11 CNCTC BI-ANNUALLY XX XX CONFIDENTIAL. Compendium of communications systems and procedural descriptions of those systems which are mission unique.
13 CNCTC BI-ANNUALLY XX XX UNCLAS. Information and instructions regarding the description, dimension, and display of flags and pennants, bow insignia, flagstaff ornaments, and related material.
FTP NCTAMS ANNUALLY XX XX XX XX XX CONFIDENTIAL. Communications procedures related to the local communications area.
FOTP CNCTC ANNUALLY XX XX XX XX XX UNCLAS. General guidance for the NCTAMS concerning Navy tactical communications.
CIBs NCTAMS SEMI-ANNUALLY MAY MAY MAY MAY VARIOUS CLASSIFICATIONS. Specific NOV NOV NOV NOV NOV information unique to each communications area.
SOPs ALL COMM ANNUALLY XX XX XX XX XX VARIOUS CLASSIFICATIONS. Specific FACILITIES procedural guidance related to system (divisional operation and communication level) procedures.
_______________________________________ DSN No:_______________________
_______________________________________ CMD UIC:______________________ (originating command)
Subj: COMMUNICATION PUBLICATIONS FEEDBACK REPORT
Justification for Change:_________________________________________________
Proposed new Verbatim Text:_______________________________________________
__________________________________________________________________________ (use blank sheets for feedback involving figures)