Information Sharing: Agencies Could Better Coordinate to Reduce Overlap in Field-Based Activities [GAO-13-471], April 2013
Unmanned Aircraft Systems: Continued Coordination, Operational Data, and Performance Standards Needed to Guide Research and Development [GAO-13-346T], February 15, 2013
Guantanamo Bay Detainees: Facilities and Factors for Consideration If Detainees Were Brought to the United States [GAO-13-31], November 2012
Unmanned Aircraft Systems: Measuring Progress and Addressing Potential Privacy Concerns Would Facilitate Integration into the National Airspace System [GAO-12-981], September 2012
Nonproliferation: Agencies Could Improve Information Sharing and End-Use Monitoring on Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Exports [GAO-12-536], July 2012
FBI Counterterrorism: Vacancies Have Declined, but FBI Has Not Assessed the Long-Term Sustainability of Its Strategy for Addressing Vacancies [GAO-12-533], April 2012
Information Sharing Environment: Better Road Map Needed to Guide Implementation and Investments [GAO-11-455], July 2011
Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance: Actions Are Needed to Increase Integration and Efficiencies of DOD's ISR Enterprise [GAO-11-465], June 2011
Nuclear Commerce: Governmentwide Strategy Could Help Increase Commercial Benefits from U.S. Nuclear Cooperation Agreements with Other Countries [GAO-11-36], November 2010
2010 Resubmission of the U.S.-Russia Nuclear Cooperation Agreement: Further Actions Needed by State and Other Agencies to Improve the Review of the Classified Nuclear Proliferation Assessment [GAO-10-1039R], September 21, 2010
Defense Acquisitions: Opportunities Exist to Achieve Greater Commonality and Efficiencies among Unmanned Aircraft Systems [GAO-09-520], July 2009
U.S.-Russia Nuclear Agreement: Interagency Process Used to Develop the Classified Nuclear Proliferation Assessment Needs to Be Strengthened [GAO-09-743R], June 30, 2009
Defense Management: Preliminary Observations on DOD's Plans for Developing Language and Cultural Awareness Capabilities [GAO-09-176R], November 25, 2008
National Applications Office Certification Review, November 6, 2008
Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance: DOD Can Better Assess and Integrate ISR Capabilities and Oversee Development of Future ISR Requirements [GAO-08-374], March 24, 2008
Defense Space Activities: National Security Space Strategy Needed to Guide Future DOD Space Efforts [GAO-08-431R], March 27, 2008
GAO Letter to Congress on Intelligence Community Oversight, March 1, 2007
DNI Letter to Congress on GAO and Intelligence Community Oversight, March 7, 2007
GAO Response to the DNI on GAO and Intelligence Community Oversight, March 16, 2007
Personnel Clearances: Criteria to Consider in Efforts to Reform the Security Clearance Processes, Statement of Jack E. Edwards before the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence
Homeland Security: Federal Efforts Are Helping to Alleviate Some Challenges Encountered by State and Local Information Fusion Centers [GAO-08-35], October 2007
Terrorist Watch List Screening: Opportunities Exist to Enhance Management Oversight, Reduce Vulnerabilities in Agency Screening Processes, and Expand Use of the List [GAO-08-110], October 2007
Combating Terrorism: Law Enforcement Agencies Lack Directives to Assist Foreign Nations to Identify, Disrupt, and Prosecute Terrorists [GAO-07-697], May 2007
Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance: Preliminary Observations on DOD's Approach to Managing Requirements for New Systems, Existing Assets, and Systems Development [GAO-07-596T], April 19, 2007
Special Operations Forces: Several Human Capital Challenges Must Be Addressed to Meet Expanded Role [GAO-06-812], July 2006
Nuclear Weapons: NNSA Needs to Refine and More Effectively Manage Its New Approach for Assessing and Certifying Nuclear Weapons [GAO-06-261], February 2006
Intelligence Reform: Human Capital Considerations Critical to 9/11 Commission's Proposed Reforms [GAO-04-1084T], September 14, 2004
Data Mining: Federal Efforts Cover a Wide Range of Uses [GAO-04-548], May 2004
DOD Personnel Clearances: Additional Steps Can Be Taken to Reduce Backlogs and Delays in Determining Security Clearance Eligibility for Industry Personnel [GAO-04-632], May 2004
Federal Advisory Committees: Additional Guidance Could Help Agencies Better Ensure Independence and Balance [GAO-04-328], April 2004 (2.9 MB PDF file)
DoD Personnel Clearances: Preliminary Observations Related to Backlogs and Delays in Determining Security Clearance Eligibility for Industry Personnel, GAO-04-202T, May 6, 2004
Security Clearances: FBI Has Enhanced Its Process for State and Local Law Enforcement Officials, GAO-04-596, April 2004
Critical Infrastructure Protection: Establishing Effective Information Sharing with Infrastructure Sectors, GAO-04-699T, April 21, 2004
Information Technology: FBI Needs an Enterprise Architecture to Guide Its Modernization Activities, GAO-03-959, September 2003. FBI Comments in Response, GAO-04-190R, November 14, 2003
Homeland Security: Efforts to Improve Information Sharing Need to Be Strengthened, GAO-03-760, August 2003
CIA Policy for Dealing with the General Accounting Office, Memorandum for the Director of Central Intelligence from Stanley M. Moskowitz, Director of Congressional Affairs, 7 July 1994
Observations on GAO Access to Information on CIA Programs and Activities, Testimony of Henry L. Hinton, Jr., U.S. General Accounting Office, GAO-01-975T, July 18, 2001
Investigators' Guide to Sources of Information (04/01/97, GAO/OSI-97-2).
WWW Sites Reported by Federal Organizations [GAO GGD 97-086] June 1997 [1340 PDF]
- 9/11 Commission Report: Reorganization, Transformation, and Information Sharing, GAO-04-1033T, August 3, 2004
- FBI Transformation: FBI Continues to Make Progress in Its Efforts to Transform and Address Priorities, GAO-04-578T, March 23, 2004
- Force Structure: Improved Strategic Planning Can Enhance DOD's Unmanned Aerial Vehicles Efforts, GAO-04-342, March 2004
- Foreign Languages: Workforce Planning Could Help Address Staffing and Proficiency Shortfalls [PDF], testimony of Susan S. Westin, GAO-02-514, March 12, 2002.
- Foreign Languages: Human Capital Approach Needed to Correct Staffing and Proficiency Shortfalls [PDF], GAO-02-375, January 2002.
- Electronic Warfare: Army Special Operations
Acquisition Strategy for Improved Equipment Is Sound (Letter Report,
- Drug Control: An Overview of U.S. Counterdrug Intelligence Activities. GAO/NSIAD-98-142, June 25.
- Special Operations Forces: Opportunities to Preclude Overuse and Misuse GAO/NSIAD-97-85, May 15, 1997
- School of the Americas: U.S. Military Training for Latin American
Countries (Letter Report, 08/22/96, GAO/NSIAD-96-178)
- GAO/NSIAD-96-6 Intelligence Agencies: Selected Personnel Practices at CIA, , NSA, and DIA Compared to Other Agencies (Chapter Report, 03/11/96) (PDF Version)
- GAO/NSIAD-95-39 Honduras: Continuing U.S. Military Presence at Soto Cano Base Is Not Critical (Letter Report, 02/08/95)
- GAO/NSIAD-95-50FS Overseas Presence: Staffing at U.S. Diplomatic Posts (Fact Sheet, 12/28/94)
- GAO/NSIAD-94-228 State Department: Overseas Staffing Process Not Linked to Policy Priorities (Letter Report, 09/20/94)
- GAO/GGD-94-55 Alternative Work Schedules: Many Agencies Do Not Allow Employees the Full Flexibility Permitted by Law (Letter Report, 03/29/94)
- GAO/NSIAD-94-105 Special Operations Forces: Force Structure and Readiness Issues (Chapter Report, 03/24/94)
- GAO/NSIAD-94-49 Tactical Intelligence: Army Needs to Reconsider and Test All-Source Analysis System Alternative (Letter Report, 03/07/94)
- GAO/NSIAD-94-109 Intelligence Programs: Inquiry Into Contracting Practices for a Classified Program (Letter Report, 02/28/94)
- GAO/NSIAD-94-51 Battlefield Automation: Premature Acquisition of the Army's Combat Service Support Control System (Letter Report, 02/04/94)
- GAO/NSIAD-94-15 Army Force Structure: The Relocation of the 513th Military Intelligence Brigade (Letter Report, 10/07/93)
- Foreign Technology: Collection and Dissemination of Japanese
Information Can Be Improved, GAO/NSIAD-93-251 (September 30, 1993)
- Foreign Aid: Police Training and Assistance U.S. General Accounting Office (REPORT TO CONGRESSIONAL REQUESTERS, MARCH 1992)
Counter-Intelligence / Security
- Industrial Security: DOD Cannot Provide Adequate Assurances That Its Oversight Ensures the Protection of Classified Information [GAO-04-332], March 2004
- DoD Personnel Clearances: DOD Needs to Overcome Impediments to Eliminating Backlog and Determining Its Size [GAO-04-344], February 2004
- FBI Intelligence Investigations: Coordination Within Justice on Counterintelligence Criminal Matters is Limited [GAO-01-780] (500 KB PDF Version) July 2001
- DOD Personnel: More Consistency Needed in Determining Eligibility for Top Secret Security Clearances [GAO-01-465] April 2001 (PDF)
- DOD Personnel: More Accurate Estimate of Overdue Security Clearance Reinvestigations Is Needed [T-NSIAD-00-246] 09/20/2000
- DOD Personnel: More Actions Needed to Address Backlog of Security Clearance Reinvestigations [NSIAD-00-215] 08/18/2000
- Nuclear Security: Information on DOE's Requirements for Protecting and Controlling Classified Documents [T-RCED-00-247] 07/11/2000
- DOD Personnel: Weaknesses in Security Investigation Program Are Being Addressed [T-NSIAD-00-148] 04/06/2000
- Department of Energy: Views on Proposed Civil Penalties, Security Oversight, and External Safety Regulation Legislation [T-RCED-00-135] 03/22/2000
- Nuclear Security: Security Issues At DOE and Its Newly Created National Nuclear Security Administration [T-RCED-00-123] 03/14/2000
- Nuclear Security: Improvements Needed in DOE's Safeguards and Security Oversight [RCED-00-062] 02/24/2000
- DOD Personnel: Inadequate Personnel Security Investigations Pose National Security Risks [T-NSIAD-00-65] 02/16/2000
- DOD Personnel: Inadequate Personnel Security Investigations Pose National Security Risks [NSIAD-00-012] 10/27/1999
- Department of Energy: DOE Needs To Improve Controls
Over Foreign Visitors To Its Weapons Laboratories. T-RCED-99-28. 12
pp. plus 2 appendices (2 pp.) October 14, 1998.
- Department of Energy: Problems in DOE's Foreign
Visitor Program Persist (Testimony, 10/06/98, GAO/T-RCED-99-19).
- Executive Office of the President: Procedures
for Acquiring Access to and Safeguarding Intelligence Information GAO/NSIAD-98-245,
Sept. 30. 1998
- Department of Energy: DOE Needs to Improve Controls Over Foreign Visitors to Weapons Laboratories GAO/RCED-97-229, September 25, 1997.
- Department of Energy: Information on the Distribution of Funds for Counterintelligence Programs and the Resulting Expansion of these Programs GAO/RCED-97-128R, April 25, 1997.
- Naval Criminal Investigative Service: Fraud Interview Policies Similar to Other Federal Law Enforcement Agencies (Letter Report, 04/07/97, GAO/NSIAD-97-117)
- Federal Law Enforcement: Investigative Authority and Personnel at 13 Agencies GAO/GGD-96-154, September 30, 1996.
- GAO/NSIAD-96-64 Defense Industrial Security: Weaknesses in U.S. Security Arrangements With Foreign-Owned Defense Contractors (Chapter Report, 02/20/96)
- GAO-GGD-96-38 Federal Law Enforcement: Information on Certain Agencies' Criminal Investigative Personnel and Salary Costs (11/15/95)
- GAO/NSIAD-95-21 Security Clearances: Consideration of Sexual Orientation in the Clearance Process (Letter Report, 03/24/95)
- GAO/NSIAD-95-101 Background Investigations: Impediments to Consolidating Investigations and Adjudicative Functions (Letter Report, 03/24/95)
- GAO/T-AIMD-94-173 Electronic Surveillance: Technologies Continue to Pose Challenges (08/11/94)
- GAO/NSIAD-94-191 DOD Training: Many DOD Linguists Do Not Meet Minimum Proficiency Standards (Letter Report, 07/12/94)
- GAO/OSI-94-2 Communications Privacy: Federal Policy and Actions (Letter Report, 11/04/93)
- Unmanned Aircraft Systems: Comprehensive Planning and a Results-Oriented Training Strategy Are Needed to Support Growing Inventories [GAO-10-331], March 2010
- Unmanned Aerial Vehicles: Changes in Global Hawk's Acquisition Strategy Are Needed to Reduce Program Risks [GAO-05-6] November 2004
- Unmanned Aerial Vehicles: Questionable Basis for Revisions to Shadow 200 Acquisition Strategy [NSIAD-00-204] 09/26/2000
- Unmanned Aerial Vehicles: Progress of the Global Hawk Advanced Concept Technology Demonstration [NSIAD-00-78] 04/25/2000
- Unmanned Aerial Vehicles: DOD's Demonstration
Approach Has Improved Project Outcomes (Letter Report, 08/30/1999,
- Unmanned Aerial Vehicles: Progress Toward Meeting
High Altitude Endurance Aircraft Price Goals (Letter Report, 12/15/98,
- Electronic Warfare: Test Results Do Not Support Buying More
Common Sensor Systems. NSIAD-98-3. March 24, 1998.
- Unmanned Aerial Vehicles: Outrider Demonstrations Will Be Inadequate to Justify Further Production GAO/NSIAD-97-153, September 23, 1997.
- Tactical Intelligence: Joint STARS Full-Rate Production Decision Was Premature and Risky GAO/NSIAD-97-68, April 25, 1997
- Unmanned Aerial Vehicles: DOD's Acquisition Efforts T-NSIAD-97-138 April 9, 1997
- Electronic Warfare: Additional Buys of Sensor System Should Be Delayed Pending Satisfactory Testing (Letter Report, 09/27/96, GAO/NSIAD-96-175)
- GAO/NSIAD-96-71Tactical Intelligence: Accelerated Joint STARS Ground Station Acquisition Strategy Is Risky (Letter Report, 05/23/96).
- Unmanned Aerial Vehicles: Hunter System Is Not Appropriate for Navy Fleet Use (Letter Report, 12/01/95, GAO/NSIAD-96-2)
- GAO/NSIAD-95-161 Unmanned Aerial Vehicles: Maneuver System Schedule Includes Unnecessary Risk (Letter Report, 09/15/95).
- GAO/NSIAD-95-52 Unmanned Aerial Vehicles: No More Hunter Systems Should Be Bought Unit Until Problems Are Fixed (Letter Report, 03/01/95).
- Critical Infrastructure Protection: Challenges to Building a Comprehensive Strategy for Information Sharing and Coordination [T-AIMD-00-268] 07/26/2000
- Information Security: Software Change Controls at the Department of Energy [AIMD-00-189R] 06/30/2000
- Critical Infrastructure Protection: Comments on the Proposed Cyber Security Information Act of 2000 [T-AIMD-00-229] 06/22/2000
- Defense Software: Review of Defense Report on Software Development Best Practices [AIMD-00-209R] 06/15/2000
- Critical Infrastructure Protection: "ILOVEYOU" Computer Virus Highlights Need for Improved Alert and Coordination Capabilities [T-AIMD-00-181] 05/18/2000
- Information Security: "ILOVEYOU" Computer Virus Emphasizes Critical Need for Agency and Governmentwide Improvements [T-AIMD-00-171] 05/10/2000
- Critical Infrastructure Protection: Comments on the National Plan for Information Systems Protection [T-AIMD-00-072] 02/01/2000
- Information Security: Comments on Proposed Government Information Act of 1999 [T-AIMD-00-107] 03/02/2000
- Computer Security: FAA Needs to Improve Controls Over Use of Foreign Nationals to Remediate and Review Software [AIMD-00-055] 12/23/1999
- Critical Infrastructure Protection: Fundamental Improvements Needed to Assure Security of Federal Operations [T-AIMD-00-007] 10/06/1999
- Critical Infrastructure Protection: Comprehensive Strategy Can Draw on Year 2000 Experiences [AIMD-00-001] 10/01/1999
- Information Security: Serious Weaknesses Place
Critical Federal Operations and Assets at Risk. AIMD-98-92. 63 pp.
plus 4 appendices (10 pp.) September 23, 1998.
- Information Security: Strengthened Management
Needed to Protect Critical Federal Operations and Assets, by Gene L.
Dodaro, Assistant Comptroller General for Accounting and Information Management
Issues, before the Senate Committee on Governmental Affairs. GAO/T-AIMD-98-312,
- Defense Information Superiority: Progress Made,
But Significant Challenges Remain. NSIAD/AIMD-98-257. 19 pp. plus 2
appendices (9 pp.) August 31, 1998.
- Defense Networks: Management Information Shortfalls Hinder Defense Efforts to
Meet DISN Goals GAO/AIMD-98-202, July 30.
- Battlefield Automation: Acquisition Issues Facing the Army Battle Command, Brigade and Below Program GAO/NSIAD-98-140, June 30.
- Information Security: Serious Weaknesses Put State Department and FAA Operations at Risk. T-AIMD-98-170. 14 pp. May 19, 1998.
- Pervasive, Serious Weaknesses Jeopardize State Department Operations (AIMD-98-145) May 19, 1998.
- Air Traffic Control: Weak Computer Security Practices Jeopardize Flight
Safety (Letter Report, 05/18/98, GAO/AIMD-98-155).
- GAO Letter # B-280243: DoD's Information Assurance Efforts
- Joint Military Operations: Weaknesses in DOD's Process for
Certifying C4I Systems' Interoperability. NSIAD-98-73. 19 pp. plus 3 appendices (9 pp.) March 13, 1998.
- Defense Communications: Performance Measures Needed to Ensure DISN
Program Success (Letter Report, 11/27/96, GAO/AIMD-97-9)
- Information Security: Opportunities for Improved OMB Oversight of Agency Practices GAO/AIMD-96-110, September 24, 1996.
- Defense IRM: Critical Risks Facing New Material Management Strategy GAO/AIMD-96-109, September 6, 1996.
- GAO/AIMD-96-84 Information Security: Computer Attacks at Department of Pose Increasing Risks (Chapter Report, 05/22/96)
- Information Security: Computer Hacker Information
Available on the Internet (Stmnt. for the Rec., 06/05/96, GAO/T-AIMD-96-108).
- COMPUTER SECURITY Hackers Penetrate DOD Computer Systems GAO/T-IMTEC-92-5 November 20, 1991
- COMPUTER SECURITY Governmentwide Planning Process Had Limited Impact GAO/IMTEC-90-48 May 10, 1990
- Information on U.S. Domestic Anthrax Attacks, December 10, 2002 [GAO-03-323T]
- Foreign Missile Threats: Analytic Soundness of National Intelligence
Estimate 95-19 (Testimony, 12/04/96, GAO/T-NSIAD-97-53)
- Foreign Missile Threats: Analytic Soundness of Certain National
Intelligence Estimates (Letter Report, 08/30/96, GAO/NSIAD-96-225)
- GAO/T-NSIAD-96-114 Economic Espionage: Information on Threat from U.S. Allies (Testimony, 02/28/96)
- GAO/NSIAD-95-84 National Security: Impact of China's Military Modernization in the Pacific Region (Chapter Report, 06/06/95)
- Alien Smuggling: Management and Operational Improvements Needed to Address Growing Problem [GGD-00-103] 05/01/2000
- INS Budget: Overhiring and Decline in Revenues
Have Created Fiscal Stress (Statement/Record, 03/24/1999, GAO/T-GGD/AIMD-99-129).
- Criminal Aliens: INS' Efforts to Identify and
Remove Imprisoned Aliens Continue to Need Improvement (Testimony, 02/25/99,
- Criminal Aliens: INS' Efforts to Remove Imprisoned
Aliens Continue to Need Improvement (Letter Report, 10/16/98, GAO/GGD-99-3).
- Illegal Immigration: Southwest Border Strategy Results
Inconclusive; More Evaluation Needed. GGD-98-21. 70 pp. plus 7
appendices (34 pp.) December 11, 1997.
- Defense IRM: Poor Implementation of Management Controls Has Put
Migration Strategy at Risk. AIMD-98-5. 61 pp. plus 5 appendices (31 pp.) October 20, 1997.
- GAO/GGD-95-30 Border Control: Revised Strategy Is Showing Some Positive Results (Letter Report, 12/29/94)
- Drug Control: State Department Provides Required Aviation Program Oversight, but Safety and Security Should Be Enhanced [GAO-01-1021] 09/14/2001
- PricewaterhouseCoopers' Review of the Office of National Drug Control Policy [GGD-00-170R] 06/26/2000
- Drug Control: DOD Allocates Fewer Assets to
Drug Control Efforts (Testimony, 01/27/2000, GAO/T-NSIAD-00-77).
- Drug Control: Assets DOD Contributes to Reducing
the Illegal Drug Supply Have Declined (Letter Report, 12/21/1999, GAO/NSIAD-00-9).
- Drug Control: Update on U.S.-Mexican Counternarcotics
Activities (Testimony, 03/04/99, GAO/T-NSIAD-99-98).
- Drug Control: Update on U.S.-Mexican Counternarcotics
Efforts (Testimony, 02/24/99, GAO/T-NSIAD-99-86).
- DOD Counterdrug Activities: Reported Costs Do
Not Reflect Extent of DOD's Support. NSIAD-98-231. 9 pp. plus 1 appendices
(2 pp.) September 23, 1998.
- Drug Control: Observations on U.S. Counternarcotics
Activities. T-NSIAD-98-249. 13 pp. September 16, 1998.
- Drug Control: Information on High Intensity Drug
Trafficking Areas Program GAO/GGD-98-188, Sept. 3.
- Customs Service Drug Interdiction: Internal Control Weaknesses and Other Concerns With Low-Risk Cargo Entry Programs GAO/GGD-98-175, July 31.
- Drug Control: U.S.-Mexican Counternarcotics Efforts Face Difficult Challenges GAO/NSIAD-98-154, June 30.
- Drug Control: An Overview of U.S. Counterdrug Intelligence Activities.
GAO/NSIAD-98-142, June 25.
- Law Enforcement: Information on Drug-Related Police Corruption. GGD-98-111. 36 pp. plus 4 appendices (7 pp.) May 28, 1998.
- Drug Control: Status of Counternarcotics Efforts in Mexico.
T-NSIAD-98-129. 15 pp. March 18, 1998.
- Drug Control: Status of U.S. International Counternarcotics
Activities. T-NSIAD-98-116. 18 pp. March 12, 1998.
- Drug Control: Counternarcotics Efforts in Colombia Face
Continuing Challenges. T-NSIAD-98-103. 9 pp. February 26, 1998.
- Drug Control: Planned Actions Should Clarify Counterdrug
Technology Assessment Center's Impact. GGD-98-28. 31 pp. plus 7 appendices (15 pp.) February 3, 1998.
- Drug Control: Update on U.S. Interdiction Efforts in the
Caribbean and Eastern Pacific. NSIAD-98-30. 33 pp. plus 2 appendices (8 pp.) October 15, 1997.
- Drug Control: Reauthorizing of the Office of National Drug
Control Policy, by Norman J. Rabkin, Director of Administration of Justice Issues, before the Subcommittee on National Security, International Affairs, and Criminal Justice, House Committee on Government Reform and Oversight. GAO/T-GGD-97-97, May 1, 1997.
- Drug Control: Long-Standing Problems Hinder U.S. International Efforts (Letter Report, 02/27/97, GAO/NSIAD-97-75).
- Customs Service: Drug Interdiction Efforts (Briefing Report, 09/26/96, GAO/GGD-96-189BR)
- Drug Control: Counternarcotics Efforts in Mexico (Letter Report,
- Drug Control: U.S. Interdiction Efforts in the Caribbean Decline (Letter Report, 04/17/96, GAO/NSIAD-96-119)
- Drug Control: U.S. Drug Interdiction Issues in Latin America (Testimony, 10/07/94, GAO/T-NSIAD-95-32)
- GAO/NSIAD-94-233 Drug Control: Interdiction Efforts in Central America Have Had Little Impact on the Flow of Drugs (Letter Report, 08/02/94)
- GAO/T-GGD-94-49 Drug Control: The Office of National Drug Control Policy--Strategies Need Performance Measures (Testimony, 11/15/93)
- Expanded Military Surveillance Not Justified by Measurable Goals or Results Statement of Louis J. Rodrigues, Director, Systems Development and Production Issues, National Security and International Affairs Division GAO/T-NSIAD-94-14 -- October 5, 1993
- GAO/T-GGD-94-7 Drug Control: Reauthorization of the Office of National Drug Control Policy (Testimony, 10/05/93)
- GAO/T-NSIAD-94-14 Drug Control: Expanded Military Surveillance Not Justified by Measurable Goals or Results (Testimony, 10/05/93)
- Federal Action Needed to Address Security Challenges at Chemical Facilities [GAO=04-482T], February 23, 2004
- HHS Bioterrorism Preparedness Programs: States Reported Progress but Fell Short of Program Goals for 2002 [GAO-04-360R], February 11, 2004
- Bioterrorism: A Threat to Agriculture and the Food Supply [GAO-04-259T], November 19, 2003
- Bioterrorism: Public Health Response to Anthrax Incidents of 2001 [GAO-04-152], October 2003
- Homeland Security: A Framework for Addressing the Nation's Efforts [GAO-01-1158T] (Testimony) with an Appendix of Related GAO Products on Terrorism, September 21, 2001
- Combating Terrorism: Selected Challenges and Related Recommendations [GAO-01-822], September 2001 [>9MB PDF file!]
- Aviation Security: Terrorist Acts Demonstrate Urgent Need to Improve Security at the Nation's Airports [GAO-01-1162T] (Testimony), 9/20/01
- Aviation Security: Terrorist Acts Illustrate Severe Weaknesses in Aviation Security [GAO-01-1166T] (Testimony), 9/20/01
- Security Protection: Standardization Issues Regarding Protection of Executive Branch Officials [T-GGD/OSI-00-177] 07/27/2000
- Combating Terrorism: Action Taken but Considerable Risks Remain for Forces Overseas [NSIAD-00-181] 07/19/2000
- Security Protection: Standardization Issues Regarding Protection of Executive Branch Officials [GGD/OSI-00-139] 07/11/2000
- Combating Terrorism: Comments on Bill H.R. 4210 to Manage Selected Counterterrorist Programs [T-NSIAD-00-172] 05/04/2000
- Combating Terrorism: How Five Foreign Countries Are Organized to Combat Terrorism [NSIAD-00-85] 04/07/2000
- Combating Terrorism: Issues in Managing Counterterrorist Programs [T-NSIAD-00-145] 04/06/2000
- Aviation Security: Vulnerabilities Still Exist in the Aviation Security System [T-RCED/AIMD-00-142] 04/06/2000
- State Department: Overseas Emergency Security Program Progressing, But Costs Are Increasing [NSIAD-00-83] 03/08/2000
- Crime Technology: Department of Defense Assistance to State and Local Law Enforcement Agencies [GGD-00-014] 10/12/1999
- Terrorism and Drug Trafficking: Testing Status
and Views on Operational Viability of Pulsed Fast Neutron Analysis Technology
(Letter Report, 04/13/99, GAO/GGD-99-54).
- Combating Terrorism: Observations on Biological
Terrorism and Public Health Initiatives (Testimony, 03/16/99, GAO/T-NSIAD-99-112).
- Aviation Security: FAA's Actions To Study Responsibilities
and Funding for Airport Security and To Certify Screening Companies
(Letter Report, 02/25/99, GAO/RCED-99-53).
- Combating Terrorism: FBI's Use of Federal Funds
for Counterterrorism-Related Activities (Fiscal Years 1995-1998) (Letter
Report, 11/20/98, GAO/GGD-99-7).
- Combating Terrorism: Opportunities To Improve
Domestic Preparedness Program Focus and Efficiency (Letter Report,
- Combating Terrorism: Observations on the Nunn-Lugar-Domenici
Domestic Preparedness Program. T-NSIAD-99-16. 14 pp. plus 3 appendices
(3 pp.) October 2, 1998.
- General Services Administration: Many Building Security Upgrades Made But Problems Have Hindered Program Implementation (Testimony, 06/04/98, GAO/T-GGD-98-141)
- Combating Terrorism: Observations on Crosscutting Issues, by Richard Davis, Director of National Security Analysis Issues, before the Subcommittee on National Security, International Affairs and Criminal Justice, House Committee on Government Reform and Oversight. GAO/T-NSIAD-98-164, Apr. 23.
- Combating Terrorism: Threat and Risk Assessments Can Help Prioritize and Target Program Investments GAO/NSIAD-98-74, Apr. 9.
- Combating Terrorism: Spending on Governmentwide Programs Requires
Better Management and Coordination. NSIAD-98-39. 23 pp. plus 6 appendices (17 pp.) December 1, 1997.
- Combating Terrorism: Efforts to Protect U.S. Forces in Turkey and the Middle East. T-NSIAD-98-44. 9 pp. October 28, 1997.
- Combating Terrorism: Federal Agencies' Efforts to Implement
National Policy and Strategy. NSIAD-97-254. 74 pp. plus 13 appendices (38 pp.) September 26, 1997.
- Terrorism and Drug Trafficking: Responsibilities for Developing
Explosives and Narcotics Detection Technologies - NSIAD-97-95. 23 April 15, 1997.
- Terrorism and Drug Trafficking: Responsibilities for Developing
Explosives and Narcotics Detection Technologies (Letter Report, 04/15/97,
- Aviation Security: Technology's Role in Addressing Vulnerabilities(Testimony, 09/19/96, GAO/T-RCED/NSIAD-96-262)
- Terrorism and Drug Trafficking: Technologies for Detecting Explosives and Narcotics (Letter Report, 09/04/96, GAO/NSIAD/RCED-96-252)
- Aviation Security: Urgent Issues Need to Be Addressed (Testimony, 09/11/96, GAO/T-RCED/NSIAD-96-251)
- Aviation Security: Immediate Action Needed to Improve Security(Testimony, 08/01/96, GAO/T-RCED/NSIAD-96-237)
- GAO/NSIAD/RCED-96-76BR Terrorism and Drug Trafficking: Threats and Roles of of Explosives and Narcotics Detection Technology (Briefing Report, 03/27/96)
- GAO/NSIAD-94-100 Inventory Management: Handheld Missiles Are Vulnerable to Theft and Undetected Losses (Letter Report, 09/16/94)
- Aviation Security: Development of New Security
Technology Has Not Met Expectations (Chapter Report, 05/19/94, GAO/RCED-94-142).
- Investigations of Terrorist Financing, Money Laundering, and Other Financial Crimes [GAO-04-464R], February 20, 2004
- Private Banking: Raul Salinas, Citibank, and Alleged Money Laundering [T-OSI-00-3] 11/09/1999
- Money Laundering: Observations on Private Banking and Related Oversight of Selected Offshore Jurisdictions [T-GGD-00-032] 11/09/1999
- Private Banking: Raul Salinas, Citibank, and Alleged
Money Laundering (Letter Report, 10/30/98, GAO/OSI-99-1).
- Money Laundering: Regulatory Oversight of Offshore Private Banking Activities. GGD-98-154. 23 pp. plus 5 appendices (9 pp.) June 29, 1998.
- Money Laundering: FinCEN Needs to Better Manage Bank Secrecy Act Civil Penalty Cases. GGD-98-108. 17 pp. plus 5 appendices (16 pp.) June 15, 1998.
- Money Laundering: FinCEN's Law Enforcement Support, Regulatory, and International Roles. T-GGD-98-83. 13 pp. plus 4 appendices (13 pp.) April 1, 1998.
- Money Laundering: FinCEN's Law Enforcement Support, Regulatory, and International Roles, by Norman J. Rabkin, Director of Administration of Justice Issues, before the Subcommittee on General Oversight and Investigations, House Committee on Banking and Financial Services. GAO/T-GGD-98-83, Apr. 1.
- Money Laundering: FinCEN Needs to Better Communicate Regulatory
Priorities and Time Lines. GGD-98-18. 21 pp. plus 7 appendices (33 pp.) February 6, 1998.
- U.S. Currency: Printing of Flawed Redesigned $50 Notes.
T-GGD-98-8. 14 pp. October 1, 1997.
- U.S. Treasury: Observations on Plans to Study Genuine and
Counterfeit U.S. Money Abroad, by JayEtta Z. Hecker, Associate Director for International Relations and Trade Issues, before the Subcommittee on General Oversight and Investigations, House Committee on Banking and Financial Services. GAO/T-NSIAD-97-201, July 10, 1997.
- U.S. Currency: Treasury's Plans to Study Genuine and Counterfeit
U.S. Currency Abroad NSIAD-97-104 - April 11, 1997.
Money Laundering: U.S. Efforts to Combat Money Laundering Overseas
(Testimony, 02/28/96, GAO/T-GGD-96-84).
- GAO/T-GGD-96-82 Counterfeit U.S. Currency Abroad: Observations on Counterfeiting and U.S. Deterrence Efforts (Testimony, 02/27/96)
- GAO/GGD-96-11 Counterfeit U.S. Currency Abroad: Issues and U.S. Deterrence Efforts (Letter Report, 02/26/96)
- GAO/GGD-95-156 Money Laundering: Needed Improvements for Reporting Suspicious Transactions Are Planned (Chapter Report, 05/30/95)
- GAO/GGD-94-73 Money Laundering: U.S. Efforts To Fight It Are Threatened By Currency Smuggling (Chapter Report, 03/09/94)
- GAO/T-GGD-94-113 Money Laundering: The Volume of Currency Transaction Reports Filed Can and Should Be Reduced (Testimony, 03/15/94)
- GAO/GGD-94-30 Money Laundering: Progress Report on Treasury's Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (Letter Report, 11/08/93)
- Energy Task Force: Process Used to Develop the National Energy Policy, GAO-03-894, August 2003.
- UN Peacekeeping: Executive Branch Consultations with Congress Did Not Fully Meet Expectations in 1999-2000 [PDF], GAO-01-917, September 2001.
- Use of Force: ATF Policy, Training and Review Process Are Comparable to DEA's and FBI's (Chapter Report, 03/29/96, GAO/GGD-96-17).
- Federal and State Prisons: Inmate Populations, Costs, and Projection Models GAO/GGD-97-15, November 25, 1997.
- Subscriptions and News Clippings: Expenditures and Related Information Reported by Federal Organizations GAO/GGD-97-99, June 27, 1997.
- GAO/IAP-96-4 National Security Analysis Issue Area Plan--Fiscal Years 1996-98 (Letter Report, 05/01/96)
- GAO/NSIAD-95-187 Government Records: Results of a Search for Records Concerning the 1947 Crash Near Roswell, New Mexico (Letter Report, 07/28/95)
- GAO/IAP-95-11 National Security Analysis Issue Area Plan--Fiscal Years 1995-97 (Letter Report, 04/95)
- GAO/OSI-95-10 Operation Desert Storm: Investigation of a U.S. Army Fratricide Incident (Chapter Report, 04/07/95)
- GAO/IAP-95-2 Systems Development and Production Issue Area Plan--Fiscal Years 1995-97 (Letter Report, 03/95)
- GAO/NSIAD-95-92 DOD Budget: Selected Categories of Planned Funding for Fiscal Years 1995-99 (Letter Report, 02/17/95)
- GAO/NSIAD-95-5 DOD Force Mix Issues: Greater Reliance on Civilians in Support Roles Could Provide Significant Benefits (Chapter Report, 10/19/94)
- GAO/NSIAD-94-47 Joint Military Operations: DOD's Renewed Emphasis on Interoperability Is Important but Not Adequate (Letter Report, 10/21/93)
- The Use of Presidential Directives to Make and Implement U.S. Policy, NSIAD-92-72, January 1992
GAO Comptroller General Decisions
- B-261476.3 Mnemonics, Inc. November 14, 1995 - Army's proposed sole source award to E-Systems for three-channel Joint Tactical Terminal (JTT)
- B-261662.2 Vitro Corporation December 4, 1995 - Army's award of a contract to QuesTech to provide support for the Army's Intelligence and Electronic Warfare (IEW) activities
- B-262187 GNB Technologies, Industrial Battery Company
December 4, 1995 - Navy's uninterrupted power support (UPS) systems provide a constant level of electrical power and are installed in critical communication and intelligence centers
- B-257905 Appropriation Accounting-Refunds and
Uncollectibles December 26, 1995 - CIA may deposit recoveries of
fraudulent payments to the credit of the appropriation charged with
- B-262003.2 Sprint Communications Company, L.P. January 25, 1996 - Defense Commercial Telecommunications Network (DCTN)
- B-261827.3 TDS, Inc. February 1, 1996 - Navy's award of a contract to MILCOM Systems for engineering support services for the Naval
Command, Control & Ocean Surveillance Center
- B-270354 Ogden Support Services, Inc. February 28, 1996 - operations and maintenance services at the CIA Headquarters, Langley, Virginia, and at 13 other
facilities in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area.
- B--270012.2 Ogden Support Services, Inc.
March 19, 1996 - contract to American Systems Corporation (ASC) by the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), Office of Information Technology, for mail and courier services.
- B-270708 Systems Research and Applications Corporation; Infotec
Development, Incorporated April 15, 1996 - Air Force Integration for Command, Control, Communication, Computers, and Intelligence (IC4I) Program.
- B-270012.3 Ogden Support Services, Inc. April 24, 1996 - contract to American Systems Corporation (ASC) by the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), Office of Information Technology, for mail and courier services.
- B-270841 AT&T Corporation May 1, 1996 - Defense
Information System Network (DISN)
- B-270012.4 Ogden Support Services, Inc.
October 3, 1996 - contract to American Systems Corporation (ASC) by the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), Office of Information Technology, for mail and courier services.
- B-270354.2 Ogden Support Services, Inc. October 29, 1996
- operations and maintenance services at the CIA Headquarters, Langley, Virginia, and at 13 other facilities in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area.
- B-274194 Ryan Associates, Inc. November 26, 1996
evaluations concerning the development of BMD countermeasures by potential adversaries of the United States and its allies.
- B-275365 - Central Intelligence Agency--Use of Government Vehicle to
Attend Funeral of Employee's Child December 17, 1996
- B-272985 Central Intelligence Agency--Meal Expenses For Security December 30, 1996 - The Central Intelligence Agency may not use appropriated funds to pay
all or part of the cost of meals purchased by members of the Director
of Central Intelligence's security detail while providing 24-hour
security to the Director or Deputy Director.
- B-275032 Allied Signal, Inc., Electronic Systems January 17, 1997 - contract to Hughes Aircraft Company by the United States Army Communications-Electronics Command (CECOM) for the Joint Tactical Terminal/Common Integrated Broadcast Service Modules (JTT/CIBS-M).
- B-276064 Analytical & Research Technology, Inc.
May 7, 1997 - Army's award of a contract to J.G. Van Dyke &
Associates, Inc. to provide computer network integration and automated
data processing (ADP) operations support for the National Ground
Intelligence Center (NGIC).
- B-270354.3 Ogden Support Services, Inc.
June 11, 1997 - Reconsideration of operations and maintenance services at the CIA Headquarters, Langley, Virginia, and at 13 other
facilities in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area.
- B-276601 Central Intelligence Agency--Availability of Appropriations June 26, 1997
- B-276704 Orincon Corporation July 18, 1997 - services in support of Navy Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command command, control,
communications, computers, and intelligence programs.