The handbook is a high level terrorism primer that includes an overview of the history of terrorism, descriptions of terrorist behaviors and motivations, a review of terrorist group organizations, and the threat posed to our forces, both in the United States and overseas. Additionally, it provides information on the various terrorist groups, the terrorist planning cycle, operations and tactics, firearms used by terrorists, improvised explosive devices, conventional munitions used by terrorists, and a discussion on weapons of mass destruction. The manual is designed to be used to help train and educate personnel on terrorism and assist units in recognizing the threat they face in planning for operations, both in the Continental United States and overseas.
A Military Guide to Terrorism in the Twenty-First Century (4.6 MB PDF)
- Supplement 1 -- Terror Operations: Case Studies in Terrorism, 25 July 2007
- Supplement 2 -- Critical Infrastructure Threats and Terrorism, 10 August 2006
- Supplement 3 -- Suicide Bombing in the COE, 10 August 2006
- Supplement 4 -- Terrorism and WMD in the Contemporary Operational Environment, 20 August 2007
- Supplement 5 -- A Military Primer to Terrorism in the Contemporary Operational Environment, 10 August 2006
- Supplement 6 --Kidnapping and Terror in the Contemporary Operational Environment, 15 September 2008, Incorporating Change 1, 5 December 2008