Chapter I Strategy and Overview
Army Science and Technology Master Plan (ASTMP 1997)


5. Resourcing the Strategy

Figure I-11 shows how the 6.1, 6.2, and 6.3 funding categories relate to the overall acquisition process. Figure I-12 shows Army S&T recent and future funding levels.

Figure I-11. Science and Technology Related to the Acquisition Process

Click here to view enlarged version of figure.

Figure I-12. Science and Technology Program Funding by Budget Category

Click here to view enlarged version of figure.

Figure I-13. Army Basic Research

Click here to view enlarged version of figure.

Figure I-14. FY97 6.3 Program Breakout (Total = $693 Million)
52% of 6.3 funds for FY97 are committed to ATDs in AMC. The other 48% is spread among developing agencies as shown.

Click here to view enlarged version of figure.

The 6.3 category includes Advanced Technology Demonstrations (ATDs) and Advanced Concept Technology Demonstrations (ACTDs), many of which form the system of systems demonstrations.

The Army policy is to maintain stable funding for Army S&T. This stability principle of our investment strategy is consistent with the long-term nature of basic and applied research. Stability of focus and funding permits the Army's scientists and engineers to conduct meaningful long-range planning to ensure that the technologies required to address future warfighting needs will be available when needed. Figure I-15 shows the FY97 S&T budget breakout by program category and developing agency.

Figure I-15. FY97 S&T (6.1, 6.2, 6.3) Program Breakout

Click here to view enlarged version of figure.