Commander's Vehicle (CV)
a. Mission Area.
b. Operational and Organizational Concept. The CV provides an operational platform for selected elements of command within the Interim Brigade Combat Team (IBCT). Commanders must have the capability to see and direct the battle continuously, maintaining the Common Relevant Operating Picture (CROP) for all friendly forces within their respective areas of operation. This enhanced situational awareness and understanding will enable commanders to synchronize and employ widely dispersed and highly mobile forces at the decisive point(s) of the operation. Initial fielding of the CV will be three platforms to the brigade headquarters, two platforms to the infantry maneuver battalion HQ, and two per infantry maneuver company within each battalion.
3. Shortcomings of Existing Systems.
4. Capabilities Required.
a. System Requirements.
(1) The MAV CV is based on the ICV variant.
Rationale: The CV is based on the ICV platform due to the close parallels of operational requirements and battlefield capabilities between the two systems. The CV is an organic vehicle to the ICV maneuver formation and helps maximize commonality of the platform while simultaneously reducing the maintenance footprint and variety of logistics support.
(2) The CV platform requires the ability to integrate the specified communications equipment for its occupants corresponding level of command in accordance with the C4ISR Annex and aligned with the Operational Architecture (OA).
Rationale: The commander must be able to direct actions and synchronize combat power to achieve dominance. The platform must be able to integrate the appropriate communications suite to accomplish this task.
(3) The Commanderís Vehicle requires the ability to access aircraft power and antenna systems.
Rationale: The commander must be able to plan missions while enroute aboard aircraft. MAV cannot be run under its own power while in flight, so must depend on aircraft power and antenna capabilities.
5. Program Support.
6. Force Structure. Projected Army initial requirement is 190 Commanderís Vehicles. This will equip 5 brigade-size units with 38 each.
8. Program Affordability.