The two HE (high-explosive) cartridges inflict personnel casualties in the target area with ground burst effects. Their fillers and body materials differ although performance traits are the same. Neither has the armor penetrating ability of the HEDP M430 round. They are both in wooden boxes, 50 rounds to a box.
- HE M383 or M383E1. These rounds are linked with M16A2 links, DODAC B571.
- HE M384. These rounds are linked with M16A2 links, DODAC B470.
The M383 is designed to inflict personnel casualties. It is packed in linked, 48-round belts.
- Fuze-Primer detonating (PD) M533.
- Filler-Composition AS.
- Arming distance-18 to 36 meters.
- Blast radius-15 meters.
- Maximum range-2,200 meters.