NATO Expansion News - 2000
- Schroeder Tells Slovak Daily That EU Expansion Possible By 2002 , RFE/RL Newsline Vol. 4, No. 205, Part I, 23 October 2000 -- German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder told the Slovak daily "Pravda" of 23 October that the EU might accept new members by the end of 2002, Reuters reported.
- Text: Ambassador Vershbow Speech on NATO in Southeast Europe 11 May 2000 -- Vershbow, the U.S. Permanent Representative on the North Atlantic Council, was speaking at Brdo Castle, Slovenia, sketching the U.S. agenda for Southeast Europe and the role NATO can play.
- Text: U.S. Welcomes Croatia Joining NATO Partnership for Peace, EAPC 10 May 2000 -- Croatia will officially join NATO's Partnership for Peace (PfP) and the Euro-Atlantic Partnership Council (EAPC) at the North Atlantic Council (NAC) ministerial later this month in Florence, Italy.
- Text: NATO Secretary General on European Security and Defense Identity 29 March 2000 -- NATO Secretary General Lord George Robertson said March 29 that American support for the European Security and Defense Identity (ESDI) will be one of the keys to making ESDI a reality.
- GET ESDI RIGHT - Europe should beef up its military capabilities. By Madeleine K. Albright and William S. Cohen The Wall Street Journal Europe 24 March 2000 -- There should be no confusion about America's position on the European Security and Defense Identity, or ESDI. We are for a strong and capable Europe, and we are for ESDI.
- Text: Defense Department's Kramer on NATO, European Capabilities 09 March 2000 (Discusses ESDI at Senate subcommittee hearing) Assistant Secretary of Defense for International Security Affairs Franklin Kramer discussed progress in implementing NATO's Defense Capabilities Initiative (DCI) and the relationship between the DCI and the European Security and Defense Identity (ESDI).
- Text: Asst. Sec. Grossman on NATO, European Security and Defense 09 March 2000 -- In testimony on the development of the European Security and Defense Identity (ESDI), U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for European Affairs Marc Grossman told a Senate panel, "Our goal is simple: we want to get ESDI right. That's because we want ESDI to succeed."
- Joint Press Conference with Secretary Cohen and Secretary Hoon FEBRUARY 5, 2000 -- We don't anticipate that NATO would consider future admissions at least until 2002, I believe, is the earliest date that other countries may be considered.
- Text: Vershbow Remarks Jan. 27 on the NATO Strategic Concept USIA 27 January 2000 -- Despite its "unexciting" title, the NATO Strategic Concept is vitally important to the security and stability of both Europe and the United States, Ambassador Alexander Vershbow said January 27.
- Text: Robertson Remarks on NATO, Peacekeeping and Conflict Prevention USIA 13 January 2000 --
While the NATO campaign in Kosovo is useful as a study in crisis management, "it should not be seen as a model for the future," NATO Secretary General George Robertson said January 13. "Ideally, the future should be characterised by more prevention and less intervention."
- Scope Of NATO-U.S. Missions To Broaden By Gregory Piatt, European Stars and Stripes January 3, 2000, Pg. 3 — As NATO evolves in the next decade, U.S. troops in Europe will focus on the eastern and southern parts of the continent, U.S. officials and analysts say.
Maintained by Webmaster
Updated Friday, May 26, 2000 12:10:26 PM