Tracking Number: 395726
Title: "KEDO Executive Board Resolution 1995-12." Resolution 1995-12 released by the Korean Energy Development Organization (KEDO) regarding the US-North Korea agreement to supply Pyongyang with modern nuclear reactors. (950616)
06/16/95 KEDO EXECUTIVE BOARD RESOLUTION 1995-12 (Text: KEDO resolution 1995-12 released 6/13/95) (620) The following text is that of Resolution No. 1995-12 of the executive board of the Korean Peninsula Energy Development Organization (KEDO) released June 13, 1995:
(begin text) The Executive Board of the Korean Peninsula Energy Development Organization, Having held its third meeting on June 13, 1995 in Seoul, Republic of Korea, attended by one representative each from the Republic of Korea, Japan, and the United States of America,
Noting that the U.S.-DPRK joint press statement of June 13, 1995 confirms that the Korean Peninsula Energy Development Organization (KEDO) will select the reactor model for the Light-Water Reactor (LWR) project to be provided to the DPRK,
Noting further that the joint press statement confirms that KEDO will select a prime contractor to carry out the LWR project,
Noting further that the joint press statement calls for the DPRK to meet with KEDO as soon as possible to negotiate the outstanding issues of the LWR supply agreement,
Understanding that the phase "site preparations" used in the joint press statement consists of clearing and leveling the site and providing electricity and water services necessary for construction at the site,
Recalling that Article II of the Agreement on the Establishment of the Korean Peninsula Energy Development Organization done at New York on March 9, 1995 (hereinafter referred to as "the Agreement") provides that one of the purposes of the organization is to provide for the financing and supply to the DPRK of an LWR project consisting of two reactors of the Korean standard nuclear plant model with a capacity of approximately 1,000 MW(e) each,
Desiring to facilitate the prompt and successful conclusion of the negotiations on the supply agreement between KEDO and the DPRK,
1. Supports the understandings between the U.S. and the DPRK reflected in the U.S.-DPRK joint press statement of June 13, 1995.
2. Determines that, as stipulated in Article II (a) of the Agreement, the LWR project in North Korea will consist of two reactors of the Korean standard nuclear plant model with a capacity of approximately 1,000 MW(e) each, and that Ulchin 3 and 4 will be the reference plants specified in the prime contract.
3. Determines that KEDO will select a qualified firm from the Republic of Korea as a prime contractor, which will carry out the LWR project, including design, manufacture, construction and management, upon the conclusion of mutually acceptable terms and conditions for the prime contract.
4. Directs the Executive Director and, as appropriate, authorizes and requests the Chair of the Executive Board to begin discussions with Korea Electric Power Corporation (KEPCO) in connection with the prime contract.
5. Directs the Executive Director and, as appropriate, authorizes and requests the Chair of the Executive Board to make the necessary arrangements for the next shipment of heavy fuel oil to the DPRK under the terms of the U.S.-DPRK Agreed Framework of October 21, 1994, subject to the conclusion of an agreement between the U.S. and the DPRK on schedule and cooperative measures (including phased delivery and monitoring measures) and concurrent with the initiation of steps to ensure the safe storage of the spent nuclear fuel in the Yongbyon nuclear complex.
6. Directs the Executive Director and, as appropriate, authorizes and requests the Chair of the Executive Board, in consultation with the representatives of the Executive Board, to make all necessary arrangements for a site survey and negotiations with the DPRK on the LWR supply agreement, including determining the composition of KEDO delegations and terms, which will include nationals of each member country of the Executive Board.
(end text) NNNN
File Identification: 06/16/95, EPF509
Product Name: Wireless File
Product Code: WF
Keywords: KOREAN ENERGY DEVELOPMENT ORGANIZATION (KEDO); TECHNOLOGY TRANSFER; NUCLEAR REACTORS; TREATIES & AGREEMENTS; KOREA (NORTH)-US RELATIONS; KOREA (NORTH)-KOREA (SOUTH) RELATIONS
Document Type: TXT
Thematic Codes: 1EA
Target Areas: EA
PDQ Text Link: 395726