1997 Israel Special Weapons News
- Israeli, Syrian Nuclear, Other Efforts Probed al-Watan al-'Arabi 21 Nov 97 pp 35-37
- "The Future of the CD and the Shift to Regional Security Structures" - DISARMAMENT DIPLOMACY by Gerald Steinberg - JULY/AUGUST 1997.
- IRANIAN MISSILES WILL THREATEN ISRAEL WITHIN TWO YEARS
ISRAEL LINE JULY 28, 1997 -- The Arrow missiles are expected to be fully functional by 1999.
- "Israeli Moves To Reduce Tension With Syria" by Gerald Steinberg -- Jerusalem Post, July 2 1997.
- "New Verifications Technology and Issues: Space and Airborne Monitoring" by Gerald Steinberg -- Technical Workshop on Safeguards Verification Technologies and Related Experiences, IAEA, Vienna, May 12-15 1997.
- NEWS AND VIEWS Summaries of and links to online news reports and commentaries, including: US-Israeli laser defense project $50 million short, Yeltsin Approves Doctrine Of Nuclear First Use if Attacked, IAEA HEAD BLIX LAUDS CHEMICAL WEAPONS CONVENTION, May 12, 1997.
- NEWS AND VIEWS Summaries of and links to online news reports and commentaries, including: Israeli charged over Iran chemical arms links, Red Cross talks fail to agree on food aid for North Korea, North Korea says ball in South Korea's court on food aid talks, U.N. chief opens conference on chemical weapons ban, Missile Defense: The Sequel. May 6, 1997
- U-S/ISRAEL DEFENSE ISRAELI DEFENSE MINISTER YITZHAK MORDECHAI IS IN WASHINGTON FOR TALKS WITH DEFENSE SECRETARY WILLIAM COHEN. THE TWO DEFENSE CHIEFS REVIEWED ISRAEL'S U-S / SUPPORTED "ARROW" ANTI-BALLISTIC MISSILE PROGRAM AND AN ISRAELI EFFORT TO DEVELOP A HIGH-ENERGY LASER SYSTEM TO SHOOT DOWN SHORT-RANGE "KATYUSHA"
ROCKETS LAUNCHED AGAINST ISRAEL BY GUERRILLAS IN LEBANON. Voice of America 4/3/97
- [EXCERPT] DoD News Briefing Thursday, April 3, 1997 - 8 a.m. (EST) Secretary of Defense William S. Cohen welcome Minister of Defense Yitzhak Mordechai, of the State of Israel, to the Pentagon.]
- [EXCERPTS] DoD News Briefing Mr. Kenneth H. Bacon, ASD (PA)
Thursday, April 3, 1997 - 2 p.m. Q: On the Secretary's visit today with the Israeli Defense Minister .... the Blue Top you guys put out said they decided to accelerate the
Arrow missile defense program. Maybe you could give me a little bit more on that.
- COHEN AND MORDECHAI DISCUSS A BROAD RANGE OF DEFENSE ISSUES
Reference Number: No. 153-97 April 3, 1997 Secretary of Defense William S. Cohen and Israeli Minister of Defense Yitzhak Mordechai discussed the recent successes of the joint U.S.-Israel
Arrow ATBM program and agreed to accelerate the program; agreed that the United States and Israel will extend work to test the effectiveness of the tactical high energy laser against the threat posed by Katyusha rockets.
- Netanyahu: Russia Endangering Israel With Iran Missiles Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Tuesday accused Russia of endangering Israel's existence by helping Iran develop ballistic missiles. Dow Jones Business News -- March 5, 1997
- "Accountability and Confidentiality in Israeli Military Procurement" by Gerald Steinberg -- Prepared for presentation at the Conference on Political Control of Bureaucracy in Democratic Systems , Research Committee on Structure and Organization of Government (SOG) of the International Political Science Association, February 16-18 1997
- I S R A E LMiddle East Security Report Vol 1 No 1 - - - 8 January 1997
Israel linked up to the US missile early warning satellite system on 3 January. The move enables the Israeli Air Force to operate a warning system receiving satellite data from the US missile early warning centre based in Colorado.
Maintained by Webmaster
Updated Saturday, July 08, 2000 10:39:46 AM