1996 Russia Special Weapons
Nuclear, Biological, Chemical and Missile
- RUSSIAN NUCLEAR MISSILE SHIELD REINFORCED BY ONE REGIMENT By ALEXEY MESHKOV, MOSCOW, RIA NOVOSTI, DECEMBER 30
- MOSCOW, BEIJING SET FOR STRATEGIC COOPERATION NEXT CENTURY By Dmitry GORNOSTAYEV, (Nezavisimaya Gazeta, December 28. In full.)
- TODAY THE STATE DUMA HAS PASSED THE LAW "ON DESTRUCTION OF CHEMICAL WEAPONS" AS A WHOLE MOSCOW, RIA NOVOSTI CORRESPONDENT GALINA AMELKINA, DECEMBER 27.
- DEFENCE MINISTER RODIONOV GOES ON THE WARPATH Konstantin EGGERT (Izvestia, December 27. In full.)
- THE LATEST STATEMENT BY RUSSIAN DEFENCE MINISTER IGOR RODIONOV SHOULD NOT BE UNDERSTOOD LITERALLY, SAID SERGEI YASTRZHEMBSKY MOSCOW, (RIA NOVOSTI CORRESPONDENT NATALYA SALNIKOVA). DECEMBER 27.
- Russian Duma Passes Law On Destruction Of Chemical Weapons (Interfax) December 27
- RUSSIA/CHINA VOA 27 December 1996
- RUSSIA / CHINA VOA 26 December 1996
- NASA to Lend Russian Space Effort $20 Million Los Angeles Times
- RUSSIAN DEFENCE MINISTER SPEAKS IN FAVOUR OF CREATING A CIS DEFENCE ALLIANCE By Igor KOROTCHENKO Brussels-Moscow. (Nezavisimaya Gazeta, December 26. Abridged.)
- RUSSIA AND CHINA: WINGING TOWARD TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY PARTNERSHIP Grigori KARASIN, Deputy Foreign Minister of Russia (Rossiiskiye Vesti, December 26. In full.)
- RUSSIA COOPERATES WITH IRAN NOT TO THE DETRIMENT OF THIRD COUNTRIES MOSCOW, FROM RIA NOVOSTI CORRESPONDENT YURY ALEXEEV, DECEMBER 25
- RUSSIA BACK TO OLD STANCES ON ECONOMIC, MILITARY CONTACTS WITH MIDDLE EAST: DEPUTY MINISTER MOSCOW, (from RIA Novosti correspondent Yuri Alexeyev), DECEMBER 25
- STABILITY GLOBAL STRATEGIC STABILITY THE KEY STRATEGIC INTEREST OF CIS, SAYS RUSSIA'S DEFENCE MINISTER MOSCOW, RIA NOVOSTI, DECEMBER 25
- RODIONOV MILITARY THREAT SOURCES DO EXIST AROUND CIS BORDERS AND THEY CAN TRANSFORM INTO NATURAL MILITARY CONFLICTS, RUSSIAN DEFENCE MINISTER STATES MOSCOW, RIA NOVOSTI, By ALEXEI MESHKOV, DECEMBER 25
- Russian Defense Minister Arrives for One-Day Visit , Sevindzh Abdulllayeva, Viktor Shulman, ITAR-TASS, 12/23/1996 -- A meeting between Azeri leaders and Russian Defence Minister Igor Rodionov will be held in Baku today to discuss a number of problems pertaining to further cooperation between Russia and Azerbaijan.
- Transcript: PRESS CONFERENCE WITH IGOR SERGEYEV, GENERAL OF THE ARMY, STRATEGIC MISSILES TROOPS COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF DOM ZHURNALISTA, 14:00, DECEMBER 16, 1996)
- Secrets of the Soviet SLBMs , Christian Lardier , Air & Cosmos/Aviation International, 12/6/1996 -- Soviet SLBMs make use of unique technologies such as "immersed" engine technology and nuclear warheads in "inverted" position.
- 17 December Is Strategic Missile Troops Day: "Guarantor of Peace and Stability", Lieutenant Colonel Ilshat Baychurin, Armeyskiy Sbornik, December 1996 -- Interview with General of the Army Igor Dmitriyevich Sergeyev, CINC Strategic Missile Troops.
- Troops Successfully Test RS-12M Topol Missile at Plesetsk , Interfax, 11/9/1996
- Building of New Strategic Nuclear Submarine Class Begins , Interfax, 11/3/1996 -- Russia has begun building its fourth-generation strategic nuclear missile submarine, the Yury Dolgoruky.
- RUSSIA AND ITS ARMED FORCES IN CHANGING EUROPE Military News Bulletin Vol. V, No. 12 (60) December, 1996, From the speech of General of the Army Igor RODIONOV, Defence Minister of Russia, in the Italian Centre for High Military Studies on 14 November 1996
- Russia Tests ICBM CDISS News and Views - November 1996
- Keel of New Generation Nuclear Submarine Being Laid , Mayak Radio Network, 10/26/1996 -- The keel of the nuclear submarine missile cruiser Yuriy Dolgorukiy, named in honor of the founder of Moscow, is being laid today at the shipyard of one of the enterprises in the town of Severodvinsk in Archangel Region.
- "Russian renegades Pose nuke danger CIA says arsenal lacks tight controls" By Bill Gertz
THE WASHINGTON TIMES 22 October 1996
- DEPLOYMENT OF WEAPONS NEAR RUSSIAN FEDERATION WOULD FORCE IT TO REVIEW APPROACH TO ARMS CONTROL, FIRST COMMITTEE TOLD Press Release GA/DIS/3056 17 October 1996 (Rossiiskaya Gazeta, October 29. In full.)
- Submarine Successfully Launches ICBM in Barents Sea 3 Oct , ITAR-TASS, 10/4/1996
- Russian Nuclear Safeguards CDISS News and Views - October 1996
- IN WHOSE HANDS IS THE BUTTON: THE PRESIDENT HAS AUTHORIZED THE PREMIER TO CARRY THE NUCLEAR SUITCASE A WHILE, Olev Volkner and Vladimir Umnov, Moscow OGONEK, 1 September. -- According to the Constitution, Viktor Chernomyrdin will for the time of the president's operation be in charge of the "nuclear button."
- How Barracks King Schukin Privatized a Closed City. Nuclear Physics Against the 'Chemistry' of the Entrepreneurial Mayor, Valeriy Pischulin , LITERATURNAYA GAZETA, 8/7/1996 -- Report on the city of Snezhinsk.
- RS-18 ICBM UNDER CONVERSION INTO SPACE BOOSTER
(By Anna Bakina) Moscow July 17, 1996
- Navy Reports Successful Test Launches of SLBMs , INTERFAX, 7/16/1996 -- Two submarines of the Delta-III and Delta-IV class launched two SLBMs of the RSM-40 and RSM-54 types.
- Russia: Navy Reports Successful Test Launches of SLBM's , INTERFAX, 7/16/1996 -- Two submarines of the Delta-III and Delta-IV class launched two SLBMs of the RSM-40 and RSM-54 types.
- Russia: Atomic Submarines Practice Firing in Barents Sea , Vasiliy Belousov, ITAR-TASS, 7/15/1996
- Primakov letter on Russian missile-talks - 15 July 1996
- Pacific Fleet Conducts First Ballistic Test Launch 28 Jun , ITAR-TASS, 7/1/1996
- Our Finest Scientific-Technical Achievements Are Embodied in the Russian Fleet, VOORUZHENIYE, POLITIKA, KONVERSIYA, No. 2(13), 1996 -- Interview with Professor G.P. Voronin, doctor of sciences on technological developments in the Russian Navy.
- Silent Space Is Being Monitored, Lieutenant Colonel Boris Kononenko, ARMEYSKIY SBORNIK, June 96 -- A Discussion of Russia's Outer Space Monitoring System.
- Strategic Naval Forces. Problems and Prospects , A.M. Ovcharenko, VOORUZHENIYE, POLITIKA, KONVERSIYA, No. 2 (13), 1996
- CIS Collective Security, VOORUZHENIYE, POLITIKA, KONVERSIYA, 6/1/1996 -- Interview with Vladimir Mikhaylovich Mashchits, first deputy minister of Russian Federation for Cooperation with CIS Member States.
- RUSSIAN ORGANIZED CRIME GROUPS RAPIDLY PENETRATING U.S. By Louise Fenner USIA Staff Writer - 15 May 1996
- Russia: Strategic Missile Forces Test-Launch ICBM , ITAR-TASS, 5/6/1996
- At the Dawn of the Strategic Missile Troops, Colonel General Viktor Ivanovich Yesin, chief of Strategic Missile Troops Main Staff, ARMEYSKIY SBORNIK, May 1996 -- A history of Soviet Strategic Missile Forces
- What Is `Chernobyl-Two' Actually?, Danylo Kulynyak, MOLOD UKRAYINY, 4/26/1996 -- Profile of a Russian defense research laboratory.
- General Denies Nuclear Construction in Urals , INTERFAX, 4/18/1996 -- The commander of Russia's missile forces has denied allegations that an underground anti-nuclear bunker is under construction outside the city of Beloretsk in Bashkortostan near the Yamantau Mountain.
- ICBM Launched at Plesetsk Test Range , Boris Kipkeyev, ITAR-TASS, 4/17/1996 -- The first 1996 combat launching of the RS-12M Topol ICBM was carried out today during tactical exercises at the Plesetsk state test range.
- Whom Does the Mysterious 'Chernobyl-2' Serve?, Yuriy Samoylov, VECHIRNIY KYYIV, 4/12/1996 -- Profile of a top-secret Russian military research laboratory.
- Nuclear HardballAddressing nuclear safety issues in the former Soviet Union CSIS Watch Number 155, April 5, 1996
- Nuclear Weapons-Grade Fissile Materials: The Most
Serious Threat to US National Security Today? by Colonel Guy B. Roberts, USMC Special Edition 96 Airpower Journal The breakup of the Soviet Union left nuclear material scattered throughout the Newly Independent States and increased the potential for the theft of those materials, and for organized criminals to enter the nuclear smuggling business.
- Weapons Proliferation and Organized Crime: Russian Military Dimensions by Graham H. Turbiville, Jr. Special Edition 96 Airpower Journal While military and law enforcement specialists assessed weapons trafficking throughout most of the postWorld War II years in a cold war context, the dissolution of the Soviet Union at the end of 1991 marked a watershed for an already serious problem.
- What Is That There Under the Mountain? , A. Urtsev and V. Yeldashev, BELORETSKIY RABOCHIY, 3/24/1996 -- Interview with Bashkortostan People's Deputy Leonid Akimovich Tsirkunov outlining the purpose of the facilities that are being built in the cities of Beloretsk-15 and Beloretsk-16.
- Tigers' Living Under Water, Sergey Ptichkin, ROSSIYSKAYA GAZETA, 3/16/1996 -- Strategic Subs Said To Show Superiority Over U.S. Rivals.
- The Maritime Component of the Nuclear Triad: It Embodies the Best Achievements of the Domestic Military- Industrial Complex, Admiral Oleg Aleksandrovich Yerofeyev, commander of the Northern Fleet, NEZAVISIMOYE VOYENNOYE OBOZRENIYE, 3/14/1996 -- Supports implementing START II without unduly affecting submarine missile force levels.
- STUDY NOTES DANGER OF VULNERABLE RUSSIAN NUCLEAR ARSENAL By Ralph Dannheisser USIA Staff Writer - 13 March 1996
- A Plant Without Sugar?: The Country Is Transforming Into a Nuclear Burial Ground, Aleksandr Bolsunovskiy, Biophysics Institute, Siberian Department, Russian Academy of Sciences, MOSKOVSKIYE NOVOSTI, 3/10/1996 -- Krasnoyarsk `RT-2' Nuclear Waste Problems Described
- Nuclear Smuggling from the CIS: A New Transnational Threat To Global Security By Sarah Jacobson Monterey Review Volume 16 - Spring 1996
- MISSILE FORCES POWER: RUSSIA'S NUCLEAR SHIELD IS IN GOOD HANDS, Moscow, NEZAVISIMOYE VOYENNOYE OBOZRENIYE,Igor Korolchenko interviews the Chief of the Russian Strategic Nuclear Forces Main Staff, 24 February
- Defense Ministry Oversees Itself. Russian President Deprives Himself of Reliable Information About Nuclear Security in Armed Forces, Nikolay Filonov, former commanding officer of a nuclear-technical unit, NEZAVISIMOYE VOYENNOYE OBOZRENIYE, 2/24/1996 -- Commentary on Russian Presidential Edict No. 350-rp of 26 July 1995, which withdrew the function of state oversight of nuclear weapons and nuclear generators in the Russian Defense Ministry from the Russian Federal Service for Oversight of Nuclear and Radiation Security.
- Missile Forces' Power. --Russia's Nuclear Shield Is in Good Hands, Igor Korotchenko, NEZAVISIMOYE VOYENNOYE OBOZRENIYE, 2/24/1996 -- Interview with Colonel-General Viktor Yesin, chief of the Russian Strategic Nuclear Forces Main Staff on the status of Russia's Strategic Missile Forces.
- Status and Development Prospects of NATO Navies , Captain 1st Rank A. Gladkov, ZARUBEZHNOYE VOYENNOYE OBOZRENIYE, Feb 96 -- Report on the status and development prospects of the navies of the U.S., Great Britain, France, Germany and Italy.
- RS-18 ICBM UNDER CONVERSION INTO SPACE BOOSTER
(By Anna Bakina)
- Status of Nuclear Weapons Complex in Near Abroad Countries, Valentin Zakharov, Andrey Sviridov and Ildar Akchurin, YADERNYY KONTROL: OBOZRENIYE PO PROBLEMAM ORUZHIYA MASSOVOGO UNICHTOZHENIYA V ROSSII I NOVYKH NEZAVISIMYKH GOSUDARSTVAKH, 1/1/1996 -- Studies the nuclear proliferation potential of former Soviet republics.
- Geopolitics and Security, General Igor Dmitriyevich Sergeyev, CINC Strategic Missile Troops, Vooruzheniye, Politika, Konversiya, (14), 1996 -- Under present conditions, when Russia is rebuilding its economy and cannot allocate the enormous funds for defense as was the case previously, the Strategic Nuclear Forces and their basic component, the Strategic Missile Troops, remain the only real guarantee for ensuring the country's military security.
Implemented by Sara D. Berman
Maintained by Webmaster
Updated Monday, March 09, 1998 3:20:00 PM