1997 Serbia Special Weapons News
- Yugoslavia Reported to Purchase Chinese Missiles November 20, 1997 The Serbian journal "Nedelni Telegraf" reported that Serbia agreed to purchase a number of Chinese GSS M intermediate- range ballistic missiles, with a reported range of 600 kilometers. The "GSS M" may be the M-9.
- VJ Chief of NBC Administration Interviewed
Belgrade Vojska 25 Sep 97 pp 8-9 The formation of
Nuclear-Biological-Chemical defense units on the Yugoslav Army [VJ] model
is foreseen to provide for successfully conducting combat actions under
- YUGOSLAVIA / CHEMICAL WEAPONS AN AMERICAN HUMAN RIGHTS GROUP, IN A REPORT RELEASED TODAY (THURSDAY), SAYS CHEMICAL WEAPONS PRODUCTION CAPABILITIES IN THE FORMER YUGOSLAVIA POSE A THREAT TO THE REGION'S FRAGILE PEACE. Voice of America 3/27/97
- Experts View `Problem' of Vinca Radioactive Waste
Belgrade BETA 18 March 1997 -- The institute in Vinca has in its possession 42 kg of
fresh nuclear fuel enriched with uranium procured from the former USSR. Each month, the
IAEA's mission makes sure that the amount is still the same and that nothing has been done with it. The fuel is located in aluminum barrels in a pool, but the first safety barrier has been broken because the barrels have corroded.
- Belgrade on Barrel of Uranium by Dejan Anastasijevic
Belgrade Vreme 15 March 1997 pp 23-25 -- Vinca Director Kopecni feels that the articles in Nuclear Fuel are part of a campaign aimed at removing the 40 kilograms of uranium in question from Yugoslavia, and that behind that campaign are nuclear powers who simply do not like the idea of that potentially dangerous substance being anywhere outside their territory.
Maintained by Webmaster
Updated Saturday, June 10, 2000 6:11:55 PM