1998 United Kingdom Special Weapons News
- INCREASED NOTICE OF UK TRIDENT MISSILE TEST FIRINGS
Ministry of Defence 219/98 September 2, 1998 Defence Secretary George Robertson announced today that the UK has told the Government of the Russian Federation that we will in future
give five days notice to Russia of any British Trident missile test firing.
- UK TO PURSUE NATIONAL SATELLITE PROGRAMME Ministry of Defence 213/98 12 August 1998 The United Kingdom is to develop its own next generation of military satellite communications, rather than enter the Project Definition stage of the TRIMILSATCOM collaborative programme with France and Germany
- ALL WE177 NUCLEAR BOMBS DISMANTLED BY THE END OF AUGUST 1998 Ministry of Defence 200/98 July 30, 1998 All UK stocks of the RAF's WE177 free-fall nuclear bomb will have been dismantled by the end of August 1998, George Robertson,
Secretary of State for Defence, announced today.
Strategic Defence Review
- ROBERTSON'S REVIEW: MODERN FORCES FOR THE MODERN WORLD UK Ministry of Defence News Release July 8, 1998 - The Strategic Defence Review will result in a reduction in the size of our nuclear arsenal together with a re-affirmation of the
importance of the nuclear deterrent to the country s security. Our Trident submarines will remain on a continuous patrolling pattern but the number of warheads on each boat will be reduced to 48 from the maximum of 96 announced by the previous Government.
- PRESS BRIEFING BY MIKE MCCURRY July 8, 1998 Britain announced today that it's cutting its submarine-based nuclear warheads by half. Do you have any reaction to that?
- UK secures EU Agreement on Nuclear Safeguards Department for Trade and Industry Press Release, 12 June 1998 -- Three new agreements to strengthen nuclear safeguards have been approved by the EU General Affairs Council (GAC) and by the
International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).
- BRITISH NUCLEAR TEST VETERANS UK Ministry of Defence News Release - June 9, 1998 - The European Court of Human Rights today ruled in favour of the
Ministry of Defence on two test cases brought by nuclear test veterans against the Department.
- UK Publishes Chemical Defence Programme Ministry of Defence Press Release, 27 April 1998 -- The summary document contains information relating to research and development, procurement of equipment and training issues within the
chemical defence programme.
- Britain and France ratify nuclear test ban Foreign Office Press Release, 6 April 1998 - Britain and France today became the first nuclear weapons states to ratify the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty (CTBT).
- STORAGE OPTIONS FOR DECOMMISSIONED NUCLEAR SUBMARINES UK Ministry of Defence News Release March 4, 1998 - The Ministry of Defence is investigating alternative options to storage afloat for the safe storage of decommissioned submarines. Space at Devonport Naval Base and at Rosyth Royal Dockyard is finite and is expected to reach its capacity some years before any Deep Waste Repository may become available.
- UK's fourth generation military communications satellite blasts off Ministry of Defence Press Release, 10 January 1998 The UK Ministry of Defence's SKYNET 4D satellite was launched from the Kennedy Space Centre at Cape Canaveral, Florida, USA.
Maintained by Webmaster
Updated Wednesday, August 16, 2000 5:40:46 PM