5th General Bureau
The nuclear weapons program is managed by the 5th General Machinery Industry Bureau. All facilities at the Yongbyon nuclear complex are
administered by the 5th Machinery Industry General Bureau under the Second Economic Committee.
The 5th General Bureau is responsible for the production of chemical weapons.
The Hamhung Branch and three other institutes under the Second Natural Science Academy are responsible for research and production of chemical weapons, and some seven or eight factories scattered throughout the country manufacture chemical weapons and as various chemical defense equipment.
Production facilities include
- Kangye Chemical Factory in Jangang Province
- Sakju Chemical Factory in North Pyongan Province
- "February 8" Vinalon Factory in Hamhung, North Hamgyong Province
- Ilyong Branch of the Sunchon Vinalon Factory in South Pyongan Province
- Factory No. 297 in Pyongwon, South Pyongan Province
Sources and Resources
Maintained by Webmaster
Updated Sunday, November 22, 1998 4:31:19 AM