According to Choi Ju-hwal, who in 1995 defected from his post as Colonel and Chief of joint venture section of Yung-Seong Trading Company under the Ministry of People's Army, as well as other defectors, missile production facilities include:
According to Im Young-sun, a defector from North Korea and former
leader of guard platoon in the Military Construction Bureau of the
People's Armed Forces Ministry, North Korea has deployed missiles at a number of facilities:
- 7 Factory near Man'gyongdae-ri [Mankeyungdae]
- 26 Factory in Kanggye of Chagangdo Province
[Kangkye of Jakangdo]
- 118 Factory in Kagamri, Kaecheon-kun in the southern province of Pyongahn
- 125 Factory [also called the "Pyongyang Pig Factory"] in the Hyengjesan Area of Pyongyang
- Yakjeon Machinery Factory in Man'gyongdae-ri [Mankeyungdae, also known as Man'gyongdae and Mankeidai]
- a missile base on Mayang Island, Mayang-ri, Shinpo City, South Hamgyong Province was completed in late 1980.
- an intermediate-range missile base on Mt. Kanggamchan located on the opposite side of the Kane-po Fisheries Cooperatives in Jungsan County, South Pyongan Province was completed around 1985. A North Korean Navy
surface-to-ship missile base was completed in early 1990 on the same site.
- a long-range missile base in Paekun-ri, Kusong County, North Pyong-an Province was completed in 1986.
- the No-dong missile base in Hwadae County, North Hamgyong Province was completed in 1988. The Taepo-Dong missile base in Hwadae County is an underground facility with surface-to-surface missiles designed to hit Japan. For security reasons, all inhabitants residing in the area within a radius of 80 Km of this base were reportedly ordered to move out.
- a missile base in Chunggang-up [Chungganjin], Huchang County, Jagang Province was started in 1990 and completed in 1995. This base was targeted at Okinawa.
- an underground missile base in Ok'pyong-nodongjagu [Ok-pyong Rodongja-ku], Munchon County, Kangwon Province was started in 1991, and scheduled for completion by 1997 or 1998. Missiles at the facility are targeted at Japan and US military bases in Japan.
- a long-range surface-to-surface missile base in Doksong County [probably Toksong-gun 40°25'00"N 128°10'00"E] , South Hamgyong Province is currently under construction.
North Korea has a brigade-sized SCUD B/C surface-to-surface missile (SSM) unit about 50 kilometers north of the DMZ at Chiha-ri, which is the main technical support base for North Korea's Scud missile brigade. In addition, several SCUD B/C facilities have also been noted in development near the DMZ. These facilities would provide North Korea with additional hardened sites that could double or triple the numbers of SSM launchers and support equipment in the forward area. There is also an intermediate range rocket basea in Sangwon-gun in Pyongyang.
Sources and Resources
Maintained by Webmaster
Updated Sunday, January 16, 2000 7:50:52 AM