38, Admiralskaya str. 38 Nikolayev, 327014, Ukraine fax (380 512) 35 10 49 38 Admiralska St. Mykolayiv, 327014 Tel: (380 512) 35-4359, 35-4268 Fax: (380 512) 35-1049 Telex: 272117 NIK SUEstablished in Nikolayev in 1788, the history of the "61 Communards" shipyard is closely linked with the history of the Black Sea Navy. The birth of the yard (under the name “Admiralty Works”) took place in 1788- a year earlier than that of Nikolaev itself- and was caused by the necessity to strengthen southern frontiers of Russian Empire and to create a strong navy. The first ship building yard was built in 1788. At that time this territory of the northern Black Sea Coast region was a part of the Russia Empire and since 1917 of the USSR. Only in 1991 did this territory became an integral part of the State of Ukraine. From 1931 when the shipyard was named after 61 Communards it built torpedo-boat destroyers, destroyers and submarines, supply vessels for Navy, including rescue vessels of various purposes equipped with deep-water operation systems. About one third of Navy of former USSR were built at our shipyard. Nowadays it is one of the most modern and technically equipped shipbuilding enterprises in Ukraine. Production capacities of the enterprise are in 286 industrial buildings and in 165 industrial structures. The total production area of the enterprise is 125.5 thousand square meters. The quays for outfitting total length is 1248 meters. The shipyard is able to build contemporary vessels of all types with hull weight up to 28 000 tonnes. Hulls construction is made on three building berths with partial installation and mounting of equipment and machinery simultaneously. Outfitting of the vessels and mooring tests are conducted at the outfitting quays on both banks of Ingul river.
In 1938 building berth No. 3 was built. After its reconstruction in 1986 it had the dimensions 218 x 42 meters and allowed launching vessels with hulls' weights up to 28000 tonnes. On the right bank of Ingul River the machine-fitting and assembly-outfitting workshops (1970), outfitting wharf (1986), the largest workshop with up-to-date equipment for producing engineering products (1988), regular anchorage of floating-dock (1987), power network and structures were built as well as building of two open building berths with the dimensions of 220 x 26 meters each (1987).In July 1999 the shipyard finished the repairing and delivered strike missile cruiser "Moscow" to the Russia's Department of Defence. From April 1999 the outfitting work on the flagship of Ukrainian Navy - missile cruiser "Ukraine" began. Building of transport refrigerator ships has always been a technical feature and strength of the "61 Communards" shipyard. It started with the production of "Siberia" refrigerator ship. Experience gained with the "Siberia" allowed the shipyard to increase production of a new series of refrigerator ships, that were used not only for transportation of frozen fish products, but also as tankers. The main contractors were from Bulgaria and Rumania. Besides, the "61 Communards" shipyard is known as a manufacturer of floating hotels. Since the breakup of the Soviet Union, it has specialised in building reefer ships of up to 500,000 cu.ft. From the 1960s the shipyard built reefer ships for merchant fleets. During 30 years more than 90 units of reefer ships of large capacity from 260 to 500 thousand cu ft were built, and 25 vessels were delivered for export. From 1991 the shipyard cooperated with the Greek company "Laskaridis Shipping Co., Ltd." and from 1997 with joint Ukrainian-Greece enterprise "Yugreftransflot-Lavinia". During this time 14 reefer vessels were delivered for the customer.
The Commission for Re-adjustment, Restructuring and Bankruptcy of Enterprises at Ministry of Industrial Policies of Ukraine has worked out and approved the projects for restructuring 61 Communars’ Shipyard (Nikolayev).