T-AK 4296 Capt. Steven L. Bennett
|Sources and Resources
The container ship Sea Pride was renamed in honor of Air Force Medal of Honor recipient Capt. Steven L. Bennett. An Air Force pilot who flew in Vietnam, Bennet died while saving his back-seater in an OV-10. Bennett is the Air Force's most recent Medal of Honor recipient. The Steven Logan Bennett is a container ship that will be used to preposition U.S. Air Force ammunition in the Mediterranean Sea. The vessel, which has the capacity to carry 1,922 containers, is currently foreign-flagged, but will be re-flagged as a US vessel prior to beginning performance under the MSC contract. Cranes installed aboard the vessel makes it self-sustaining for loading and off-loading cargo.
Specifications Return to Top
|Length||T-AK 4296||T-AK 4396|
|Length||687 feet||652 feet|
|Beam||100 feet||105 feet|
|Draft||38 feet||34 feet|
|Displacement||52,878 long tons||48,000 long tons|
|Speed||knots ( mph)||19.0 knots|
Ships Return to Top
|Capt. Steven L. Bennett
[ex Sea Pride]
|T-AK 4296||20 Nov 1997|
|Maj. Bernard F. Fisher
[ex Sea Pride]
|T-AK 4396||02 Dec 1998||Aug 1999|
T-AK 4296 Images Return to Top
Sources and Resources Return to Top
- MV CAPT STEVEN L. BENNETT (T-AK 4296) - Military Sealift Command, Ship Inventory
- Contract announced for MV Sea Fox time charter Military Sealift Command Newsrelease 02 Dec 1998 -- The Military Sealift Command awarded a $41.2 million time charter contract to Sealift Inc. of Oyster Bay, N.Y., for a 59-month charter of the container vessel, MV Sea Fox. Sea Fox will function as part of MSC's Afloat Prepositioned Ship program.
- Ammunition ship to bear name of Air Force hero (AFNS) Nov 13, 1997 -- The container ship Sea Pride will be renamed after Medal of Honor recipient Capt. Steven L. Bennett. As an ammunition preposition fleet ship, the Steven Logan Bennett will maintain munitions in the Mediterranean Sea where the Air Force can draw on them during a conflict.
- MSC awards contract to preposition ammo Military Sealift Command Newsrelease 21 May 1997 -- MSC awarded a time-charter contract in the amount of $47 million to Ultra Maritime, Inc. (a subsidiary of Sealift, Inc.), of Oyster Bay, N.Y., for the 59-month charter of MV Sea Pride.
- SECRETARY OF THE NAVY ANNOUNCES THE NAME OF NEWLY CHARTERED SEALIFT SHIP FOR U.S. AIR FORCE HERO October 5, 1999 -- MV MAJ. BERNARD F. FISHER is a container ship owned by Sealift Inc., Oyster Bay, N.Y., that has been chartered to the MSC.