For Official Use Only
Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense
Command, Control, Communications, and Intelligence
6000 Defense Pentagon
Washington, DC 20301-6000
July 21, 1997
MEMORANDUM FOR RECORD
SUBJECT: DoD Declassification Management Panel (DDMP) Meeting
The third meeting of the DDMP was held 1 July 1997. The agenda is attached.
- OASD(C3I) briefed on the future of the Historical Records Declassification Advisory Panel (HRDAP). While the DDMP recommended the panel be disbanded, the sentiments were not shared by the government historians who unanimously voted to continue the panel for a second year. The panel reduced the number of hearings to 2 per year and narrowed the charter to focus on the activities of OSD and Joint Staff. Army suggested the DDMP members needed to communicate with their HRDAP counterparts. Navy expressed concern that the HRDAP continues to present a negative image of DoD cooperation and asks DoD to emphasize the positive cooperation. (Next HRDAP will have two speakers, the External Referral Working Group (ERWG) and the POW/MIA declass efforts-- both examples of cooperative efforts.)
- As requested by the DDMP during the last meeting, OASD(C3I) and DTIC hosted a meeting with National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in December to review referral procedures. NARA published new procedures and the DDMP members wanted to clarify several aspects of the tabbing and referral process.
- OASD(C3I) passed out declassification guidance provided by OUSD(P)/Internal Security Policy. They are concerned about specific references to US-Japan Security Relations, a subject frequently requested via FOIA. A recent case showed a release of documents clearly marked by DoS were released by NARA and subsequently posted to the internet. OASD(C3I) has prepared correspondence to ISOO to evaluate this action. This incident seriously jeopardizes US-Japan relations and the Japanese government has already formally objected the release to State. The documents in question can be accessed from the internet: "www.seas.gwu.edu/nsarchive/japan/okinawa"
- OASD(C3I) provided copies of a draft revision to DODD 5200.30, "Guidelines for Systematic Declassification Review of Classified Information in Permanently Valuable DoD Records." After much discussion, the Chair directed a follow-up meeting with principal declassification representatives to review the draft. (scheduled July 30)
- Mr. Steve Garfinkel, Information Security Oversight Office, and representatives of his office and a task force assembled to review file series exemption submissions, briefed the criteria used for the upcoming review. DDMP members requested the extensive criteria list be provided in writing-- it has not been received to date. The attached synopsis is a recap of OASD(C3I) notes.
- Mr. Joe Grau, DoDSI, discussed declassification training. He asked for support in responding to a questionnaire identifying training needs, subject areas, and student population for declassification training. Two classes are projected for FY98 (Feb. 18 and July 28). OASD(C3I) completed the requested review, expect DoDSI to use the DDMP members as coordination points of contact. Mr. Grau also said that the formal courses would be one of a number of services provided to the declassification community. (Survey attached)
Coordination with the Intelligence Community:
- Additional topics discussed included a number of FOIAs regarding DTIC holdings. The DTIC representative indicated the agency has prepared a response that included reference to all known addressees.
The next DDMP meeting will be Friday, September 5, 1300-1500 hrs, 3C200, Pentagon.
- OASD(C3I) was asked to brief the results of the ISOO briefing to the DDMP at the DCI's equivalent of the DDMP. The group (Declassification Program Managers Council) met on July 9th.
Cynthia M. Kloss
List of Attendees
Recap of ISOO briefing
DoDSI Survey (draft)
cc: DDMP members
For Official Use Only