Without going into a lot of detail, I thought it would be useful to summarize some of the recent activity relative to INFOSEC, and to include updated information. I'd ask that the gossipy parts of this be kept closely within the staff.
30 NOV - Final version of our White Paper sent to Keith Hall.
1 DEC - Meeting with Keith Hall; he likes the paper and Vicki's INFOSEC spaghetti charts.
4 DEC - I briefed Jacques Rondeau and others on the Moynihan Commission staff.
4 DEC - Our meeting with John Deutch; Keith gives him our paper and two-page talking paper; he likes Vicki's charts, asks that we leave them there - probably showed them to DEPSECDEF White; no specific feedback that I know of.
4 DEC - White Paper sent to VADM McConnell/DIRNSA; he likes it; NSA (in the wake of Clipper and new encryption policies) continues to take no position on the basic issues of SPB scope and related structural questions.
5 DEC - Keith meets with VADM McConnell; I have virtually no feedback on that meeting.
5 DEC - ASD/C3I Emmett Paige asks for a copy of the White Paper; I believe that Roger Callahan provided it.
6 DEC - Peter's testimony to the Moynihan Commission; with Deutch present, issue of INFOSEC and why there's no ISSC [Information Systems Security Committee] is raised; Senator Moynihan asks his staff to prepare some "options."
12 DEC - Some sort of meeting with Janet Reno, Jamie Gorelick, John Deutch, Tony Lake, and some other senior folks, at which Justice brought up their concerns about crime and the NII. They apparently agreed to stand up an Interdepartmental Working Group right after the holidays to address what the Government should do. This may be led by DOJ. Anyone else have info on this?
13 DEC - I am invited back to a lengthy Q&A session with the Moynihan Commission staffers. They indicate that they plan to incorporate "bold, sweeping" recommendations in their final report, and are currently thinking of proposing the creation of a "Department on Information Resources" or something similar. I told them that's a brilliant idea, but probably premature, and that it'll run into lots of opposition. They said they'd draft a proposal for this new department and asked if I would review it - I said yes.
13 DEC - Got a call from Herb Lin from the National Academy of Sciences; he wanted to "talk INFOSEC." They were commissioned to write a report dealing with encryption and export controls. He wanted to know what the SPB was doing in the area of INFOSEC, so I told him. Their draft report, due out next Spring (final in OCT), may discuss some of the structural and policymaking disarray in the Government re: INFOSEC/Defensive INFOWAR/NII Protection, etc.
14 DEC - I ran through where we are on INFOSEC, at the NCS, with Chuck Caputo, Mark Centra, and Jim Kerr; left a copy of the White Paper for Diane Fountaine.
14-15 DEC - The Defense Science Board task force looking into INFOSEC/Info Assurance/Defensive INFOWAR holds a 2-day meeting; chaired by Duane Andrews; Paul Strassmann is on it, too. I'm trying to get some feedback on what happened there. I know that VADM McConnell briefed them (and got a standing ovation, I heard), but need more info. PETER: You might want to consider calling Duane Andrews to see what's up, offer our services, etc.
18 DEC - AM at Ft. Meade. RUMINT names to replace Ed Hart: Tom McDermott, Ralph Adams, Clint Brooks.
18 DEC - I briefed CAPT Brent Greene; gave him copy of the White Paper, which he said he would give to Lin Wells that afternoon (at Wells' request); I also obtained a copy of a letter to Sen. Strom Thurmond (as Chair of the SASC) from Senators Kyl and Robb. It expresses grave concern about the security of the NII and asks Thurmond to hold hearings on this issue; informal word is that they will be scheduled for April 96.
20 DEC - George Tenet will visit with VADM McConnell.
THIS WEEK - Vice President Gore was scheduled to visit the DCI; Keith Hall has urged Deutch to make INFOSEC and the White Paper issues an agenda item for that meeting.
3 JAN - (Vicki please note): I will be meeting with Larry Gershwin and Jeff Benjamin to go over all the INFOSEC stuff; I told them Vicki would also attend, if free that day. Meeting is 1000 - 1100 rm 2E42 OHB.
JAN/FEB - The high-level Interdepartmental Working Group will probably be established.
JAN/FEB/MAR - Gen Edmonds (DISA) and DIRNSA plan to embark on a series of INFOSEC-related briefings to House and Senate staffers in anticipation of several hearings on these issues.
SOON - Jeff Benjamin/ Roger Callahan draft letter to the SSCI concerning the study and report they wanted by 1 MAR 96; will be signed by DCI and SECDEF. They basically plan to punt and ask for more time, offering Gershwin's NIE as a partial "Part A" threat document.
SOON - The Kyl Amendment to the Defense Authorization Bill will become law; asks the President to do a study and prepare a report on INFOSEC/Defensive INFOWAR things. Diane Fountaine of NCS expects to lead or play a major role in this.
SOON - DUSD(Policy) and ASD/C3I will probably settle their dispute on where INFOSEC and Defensive INFOWAR belong. ASD/C3I (Joan Dempsey) trying to consolidate these under a DASD for Security. I have it from a good source that DEPSECDEF White is unhappy with ASD/C3I for failing to engage on a number of these big issues; my money is therefore on DUSD(Policy) to emerge as the focal point for all of this within DoD.
SOON - Shelly Berman et al produce a DCID on Defensive INFOWAR.
SOMEDAY - DoD delivers a Defensive INFOWAR PRD.
APRIL - Probable hearings held by the SASC.
APRIL - Defense Science Board will publish its study on these issues.
APRIL/MAY - National Academy of Sciences will publish its draft report.
AUG-DEC - NIC to publish Defensive INFOWAR NIE.
OCT - Moynihan Commission draft report to be published.
OCT - National Academy of Sciences report to be published.
Happy holidays to all - and stand by for a very interesting 1996, INFOSEC-wise.
Ho, Ho, Ho.... Dan K.