Mr. BENNETT proposed an amendment to the bill (S. 903) to consolidate the foreign affairs agencies of the United States, to authorize appropriations for the Department of State for fiscal years 1998 and 1999, and to provide for reform of the United Nations, and for other purposes; as follows:
At the appropriate place in the bill, insert the following:
SEC. . SENSE OF THE SENATE ON ENFORCEMENT OF THE IRAN-IRAQ ARMS NON-PROLIFERATION ACT OF 1992 WITH RESPECT TO THE ACQUISITION BY IRAN OF C-802 CRUISE MISSILES .
(a) Findings: The Senate makes the following findings:
(1) The United States escort vessel U.S.S. Stark was struck by a cruise missile , causing the death of 37 United States sailors.
(2) The China National Precision Machinery Import Export Corporation is marketing the C-802 model cruise missile for use against escort vessels such as the U.S.S. Stark.
(3) The China National Precision Machinery Import Export Corporation has delivered 60 C-802 cruise missiles to Iran for use by vessels of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Navy.
(4) Iran is acquiring land batteries to launch C-802 cruise missiles which will provide its armed forces with a weapon of greater range, reliability, accuracy, and mobility than before.
(5) Iran has acquired air launched C-802IC cruise missiles giving it a 360 degree attack capability.
(6) 15,000 members of the United States Armed Forces are stationed within range of the C-802 cruise missiles being acquired by Iran.
(7) The Department of State believes that `[t]hese cruise missiles pose new, direct threats to deployed United States forces'.
(8) The delivery of cruise missiles to Iran is a violation of the Iran-Iraq Arms Non-Proliferation Act of 1992 (50 U.S.C. 1701 note).
(9) The Clinton Administration `has concluded at present that the known types [of C-802 cruise missiles ] are not of a destabilizing number and type'.
(b) Sense of Senate: It is the sense of the Senate to urge the Clinton Administration to enforce the provisions of the Iran-Iraq Arms Non-Proliferation Act of 1992 with respect to the acquisition by Iran of C-802 model cruise missiles .