Chemical and Biological Defense
The objective of the Department of Defense (DoD) Chemical and Biological Defense
Program (CBDP) is to enable US forces to survive, fight, and win in a chemically or biologically contaminated warfare environment. The DoD CBDP provides development and procurement of systems to enhance the ability of US forces to deter and defend against CB agents during regional contingencies. The probability of US forces encountering CB agents during worldwide conflicts remains high. An effective defense reduces the probability of a CB attack, and if an attack occurs, it enables US forces to survive, continue operations, and win. Scientific, technological, and resource limitations remain in preventing US forces from having complete full dimensional protection and meeting all requirements for two nearly simultaneous Major Theater Wars. The unique physical, toxicological, destructive, and other properties of each threat requires that operational and technological responses be tailored to the threat. To minimize the impact of use of NBC weapons on
our forces, the DoD CBDP will continue to work towards increasing the defensive capabilities
of Joint Forces to survive and continue the mission during conflicts that involve the use of NBC weapons. NBC defense programs are managed jointly under the oversight of a single office
Sources and Resources
- DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE NUCLEAR/BIOLOGICAL/CHEMICAL (NBC) DEFENSE ANNUAL REPORT TO CONGRESS - MARCH 1999 -- This report contains modernization plan summaries that highlight the Departmentís approach to improve current NBC defense equipment and resolve current shortcomings in the program. [6MB PDF!!]
- ANTHRAX VACCINE IMMUNIZATION PROGRAM - The Official DoD Anthrax Information Web Site
- US Army Soldier and Biological Chemical Command (SBCCOM) SBCCOM provides NBC technology, products and services to ensure: overmatching support for US forces; support of other US interests. storage and destruction of chemical materiel, and support of chemical treaties.
- CBIAC Chemical and Biological Defense Information Center CBIAC, operated by Battelle Memorial Institute, is a full service Department of Defense (DoD) Information Analysis Center (IAC) under contract to the Office of the Secretary of Defense. The CBIAC serves to collect, review, analyze, synthesize, appraise and summarize information pertaining to CW/CBD.
- NBC Industry Group NBC Industry Group is composed of about 80 companies, not-for-profit organizations, and consultants who support nuclear, chemical, and biological warfare defense activities.
Maintained by Webmaster
Updated Thursday, April 20, 2000 2:32:38 PM