10 Jul 98
MEMORANDUM FOR ALL POTENTIAL OFFERORS
2420 Vela Way, Suite 1467-80
Los Angeles AFB
El Segundo, CA 90245-4695
SUBJECT: F04701-98-R-0013; Space Based Laser Readiness Demonstration (SBLRD),
Draft Request for Proposal
1. The Space and Missile Systems Center, Advanced Systems Directorate, SMC/AD invites your organization to review the attached Draft Request for Proposal (DRFP) for the SBLRD acquisition and to submit your comments and questions. Responses are voluntary and should not include your intended technical approach. The Government is neither negotiating nor calling for offers at this time.
2. The overarching objective SBLRD is to conduct a research effort to advance and assess the feasibility of the SBL concept and its technologies, and assess the feasibility of non-BMD missions, culminating in execution of an Anti-Ballistic Missile (ABM) Treaty compliant SBL ballistic missile defense (BMD) demonstration in the CY 2008 time frame with acceptable risk given funds available. The SBLRD project encompasses the entire spectrum of effort from design, development, ground test (including facilities design and construction) and launch, through on-orbit testing. SBLRD is a research effort looking to advance technology in the future missile defense concept and give decision makers confidence in shaping future force structure.
3. The Government intends to award one Cost Plus Award Fee (CPAF), Completion Type contract resulting from this solicitation. Proposals will be evaluated to identify the offer best demonstrating understanding of the complexity and depth of the SBLRD challenge and presenting, through their overall proposal, a detailed and flexible demonstration maturation plan for significantly advancing the SBL concept and state-of-the-art of the required technologies, as well as reducing overall program risk throughout the program. An important element of this evaluation is assessing whether the offer incorporates effective solutions to meet each challenge and demonstrates a capability to be innovative, as evidenced by the proposed approaches to meet the Statement of Objectives.
4. An Ombudsman has been established to receive and address concerns from Offerors when an Offeror prefers not to use the established channels for its concerns in the proposal development phase for this acquisition. The Ombudsman will communicate Offeror issues, disagreements, and recommendations on this acquisition to the proper channels. The role of the Ombudsman is not to diminish the authority of the System Program Director or the Contracting Officer, but to advocate the Offeror’s concern on a non-attribution basis. The Ombudsman will maintain strict confidentiality as to the source of the concern when requested by the Offeror. The Ombudsman will not participate in the evaluation of proposals or the source selection decision process. Offerors are invited to contact Mr. Leslie L. Bordelon, the Space and Missile Systems Center (SMC) Ombudsman, at (310) 363-3818. It is requested that your organization strive to resolve all issues beginning with the Contracting Officer.
5. DRFP comments are due on or before 1600 hours (Pacific Daylight Savings Time), 17 Jul 1998. Organize your comments in sections according to the sections and annexes of the DRFP using the Government provided comment form. Comments may be provided in two ways, in order of preference: (1) firstname.lastname@example.org or (2) e-mail comments to: email@example.com (Capt Mark Baird, SMC/ADK). If mailed, hand-carried, or express mailed, submit comments "to be opened by addressee only" to the following address:
Department of the Air Force
Space and Missile Systems Center (SMC/ADK)
2420 Vela Way, Suite 1467-80
Los Angeles AFB, CA 90245-4659
ATTN: Capt Mark Baird
6. Information presented in this draft RFP release is subject to change. Incurring expenses or beginning to formulate an approach in preparation for this acquisition, based on information presented in this release is solely at your own risk. Please direct any questions to the undersigned at (310) 363-8629.
MARK A. BAIRD, Capt, USAF
SBLRD Contracting Officer