In September 1967, Yu.V. Votintsev was appointed chairman of an inter-departmental commission for examining new ABM system and equipment designs. The commission rejected the designs by A.L. Mints for the Don-2N multifunctional radar, since it did not resolve the main problems of antiballistic-missile defense with the required effectiveness -- the discrimination of ballistic missile warheads in the presence of countermeasures.
By June 1975 it possible to define the purpose and time periods of development and creation of the new Moscow ABM system. The Mints Radiotechnical Institute (RTI) was assigned the task of developing and constructing facilities for the upgraded Moscow ABM defense system, and V.K. Sloka was the chief designer. The Don-2NP multifunctional radar [known in the West as PILL BOX] is located not far from Pushkino (Moscow region).
The multifunctional Don radar had a shape of a truncated pyramid with equal length and width (100 meters), and height of 45 meters. Phased arrays with diameter of 16 meters each were mounted on four sides of the pyramid. Along with the digital processing of incoming signals and information, this radar features an antimissile missile control channel and a wide range of probing signals, making its operation possible in various modes. The resolution characteristics of the radar are excellent, and it can see space objects a few centimeters in size.
Building of the radar began in 1978, and it reached full operational capability around 1989. The modified Don 2NP large multifunction phased-array radar at Pushkino is an integral part of the A-135 Moscow ABM system. The radar, which has 360-degree coverage, provides support for GAZELLE and GORGON interceptor systems.
Zaloga reports that this facility is located at Krasnoarmeisk, but provides coordinates that are substantially different from those provided by NIMA [Krasnoarmeisk, aka Krasnoarmeysk, PPLX 48°31'48"N 44°37'59"E].
A map that appeared in Soviet Military Power incorrectly labeled the radar site as a [non-existent] Moscow ABM launcher complex under construction, and placed the radar location several kilometers to the east of the actual location.
Fryazino PPL 55°38'00"N 38°30'00"E Fryazino PPL 55°57'38"N 38°02'44"EAccording to one published Russian report, the main radar station and computer complex are "in the region of the town of Fryazino" near Moscow. Fryazino is small scientific town, located in the north-east area of Moscow region, 25 km from Moscow. Fryazino is located on Metshersk lowland on the river Luboseevka running into the river Vorya (the left inflow of the river Klyaz'ma). It had a population of 54,000 as of 1992. Large enterprises at the location of the modern city appeared in the middle of the 19th century (factory Kondrashovykh-Kaptchovykh). In 1900 a factory for mechanical engines was built, and about 450 persons worked in the factory by 1916. In 1934 a mechanical plant was built, and at the end of 1930s a branch-line from Ivanteyevka (located on the railway line Moscow - Yaroslavl) to Fryazino was constructed. Since 1938 it is a worker's settlement Fryazino, and since 1951 it became a city. Later the city developed as a center of microelectronics. The Fryazino part of the Institute of Radio Engineering and Electronics of the Russian Academy of Sciences (FIRE RAS) together with Special Design Bureau was founded in 1955. The total staff of the FIRE RAS is about 1000. About 700 researchers and engineers, including 58 doctors and 230 candidates of sciences work in 60 laboratoriesof the FIRE RAS. The laboratories of the FIRE RAS are located in 6 separate buildings and take the area of 13000 square metres. The total area of the FIRE RAS territory is 68 hectares. Work at the institute includes fundamental researches in radio engineering, radio physics, electronics and informatics, as well as applied researches, development of high technologies and design of new scientific instruments. Other scientific institutions and organizations include Research-and-production enterprise "Cyclone - Test", Production enterprise "Electron-device" and State research-and-production enterprise "Istok".
ISTOK is the State Research and Production Corporation (SRPC) of the former USSR, and one of the largest producers of microwave components inthe world. Founded in 1943, ISTOK's capabilities encompass almost every equivalent of US and European technology. ISTOK is the leading microwave tube company in Russia and has research,development, and manufacturing facilities located in the Moscow area. Founded in 1943, ISTOK designs and manufactures klystrons, TWTs, BWOs, IOTs, CFAs, magnetrons, solid state devices, and complete microwave and millimeter subsystems. ISTOK had a broad product line of rugged magnetron and klystron powertubes at 5800, 2450, 915, and 460 MHz with CW power levels from 100 W to 100 kW for industrial processing. ISTOK has an extraordinary array of industrial products. ISTOK magnetrons are manufactured in Russia in the Fryazino Region of Moscow. The strict manufacturing and quality control procedures for Russian military products are enforced throughout the Fryazino plant for all products. ISTOK's plant, with 8,500 employees and 270,000 square meters of space, has manufactured thousands of high quality microwave and millimeter tubes for military and industrial applications.
Although the general location of the PILL BOX radar is well established, evidently the exact location is a matter of some confusion. In fact the radar site is 48 kilometers North of Moscow, about 2 kilometers from the town of Balabanovo. This is established through LANDSAT imagery, which reveals a large circular exclusion zone around the radar complex.